Saturday, 19 September 2026

Mastermind 2027 - First Round Heat 8

Back home from Helsinki, peeps and there’s catching up to be done. So let’s begin with last Monday’s 8th heat of Mastermind.

First up was Taz Modi who was answering on musician Neil Young. More than a few times during this series so far I’ve watched rounds where I’ve thought that the contender is very good on specific areas of their subject, but then they get asked about things which they’re far less secure on. This seemed to happen to Taz a few times during the round. Oh, don’t get me wrong, 7 is perfectly respectable in this day and age but it’s not the definitive marker that you really want to be laying down in the first round.

Charlotte Long was answering on golfer supreme Rory McIlroy. Answering well, too. For most of the round this looked like it was going to be a really sterling double figure round. A couple of questions did trip her up a little on the way to the tape though and Charlotte levelled out to finish with a good 9 points. I didn’t answer any fewer questions than in the first round, but that’s not a consolation considering that I didn’t answer any in either round. Were we potentially looking at a zero aggregate for me on specialist?

No. Lauren Church gave us a round on US astronaut Sally Ride. While I don’t claim to know much about her life or career, I do know enough about US manned space programmes to be able to pick up a few pieces of low hanging fruit. With her score of 4 by the end of the round, it did look as if there were gaps in Lauren’s knowledge, but I can’t help feeling that she seemed to be affected by nerves as well. After all, I’ve no doubt she would have known Edwards Air Force base in California. I’ll say a bit more about nerves when we get to the GK.

Finally then Gustav Ader. His subject was British Brutalist Architecture. Now I don’t instinctively hate ALL British brutalist architecture. But I do hate a lot of it. The second question concerned Erno Goldfinger’s Trellick Tower, and I hate that building, an ugly duckling that has always remained ugly for sure. But leaving aside my own personal feelings, it’s an interesting subject and it brought me 5 points to push my aggregate for the Specialist to 8 points. Gustav did better but with 7 points he too looked as if he’s left a few points behind that he might have managed to get.

So to the General Knowledge. I mentioned about Lauren Church seeming to be a bit nervous in the first round. Well, there were definitely times during her GK round when you could almost see her desperately trying to push the right answer just a little further off the tip of her tongue yet not quite managing it. Who knows, maybe the first round was playing on her mind. She at least finished with a double figure aggregate, scoring 6 to give her an overall total of 10.

Taz Modi delivered a double figure round on GK. He remained calm throughout the round and accumulated points steadily, not rushing in to give a wrong answer quickly where a second’s thought might have produced a correct answer. As a result he pushed through to 11 points. Yes, we’ve seen better GK rounds this series, but only a couple of them, and with the way things have been going you fancied that this might well be a winning performance.

Within the first minute or so of Gustav’s round you couldn’t help feeling that he wasn’t going to match Taz. He too was not answering very quickly, however he wasn’t answering as well as Taz. It was an okay GK round from someone who you’d guess isn’t a quizzer. I’ll say a little bit more about that generally shortly. Gustav scored 7 to take his total to 14.

Finally Charlotte. Essentially she needed a round of 9 points and no passes to win. Basically, a good general knowledge performance. You don’t have to be a quizzer to have a good GK performance, but you do need a cool head, an ability to guess and above all else, just a little bit of luck with the questions you’re asked. At times it looked as if Charlotte had the first two requisites but not the third, as the clock ticked down. In the end she was close but the cigar remained unawarded, for she scored 8 to finish with 17 and no passes.

Well done Taz! With a good GK round many a tricky position at half time can be rescued, and if you can really nail down your specialist for the semi than you are going to be in with a shout. I wish you good luck.

Once again, as seems to have been the case for so much of this series and the previous we’ve seen contenders whose intelligence I have no doubt of, but who are not quizzers. Basically, when you’re a quizzer of a certain standard yourself, there are certain questions that contenders get asked during GK rounds where you think – if you were a quizzer you would have heard that question so often that you’d never get it wrong. And they get it wrong because they haven’t heard it before. Now, I know that it has always been the case that the non-quizzers greatly outnumber the quizzers among the contenders on Mastermind. But there just seem to be so few coming through on the show now who have a good quizzer’s general knowledge. Is it just that quizzers aren’t applying in decent numbers any more? Or is it that, for whatever reason, they’re just not getting through the applications process? I don’t have an answer, but it’s a question that could be asked, certainly.

The Details

Taz Modi

Neil Young

7

1

11

0

18

1

Charlotte Long

Rory McIlroy

9

0

8

0

17

0

Lauren Church

Sally Ride

6

2

4

2

10

4

Gustav Ader

British Brutalist Architecture

7

3

7

3

14

6

No comments: