This is pretty irrelevant – so what’s new – but a work colleague and friend plays in a quiz every week, and knowing my quiz background we often chat about how she did in the quiz on a Wednesday evening. She told me that last week, her team lost on a question she didn’t think was very fair – Colonel Harlan Sanders was born in which US state? Of course, they put Kentucky. I wrote about this some time ago in the blog, because he was actually born in Indiana. Now, putting Kentucky makes sense, because you have already done a bit of working out to realise that Colonel Harlan Sanders was the jolly bearded guy on the KFC logo. Knowing he wasn’t born in Kentucky, well you might guess that. But if you don’t actually know he was from Indiana, well, you’re hardly likely to pluck it out of thin air. So I get what my friend meant – it was asking for some quite specialised knowledge. But then I don’t necessarily think there’s anything wrong with asking one or two like that in a pub quiz where they probably won’t know the answer, but somebody just might in a straight pub quiz.
Incidentally, I took my grandson to see the Wile E Coyote
vs. Acme film at the weekend. Foghorn Leghorn was one of the important
characters in it. Now, I don’t recall ever having seen or heard a recording of
Colonel Sanders talking, but I have ALWAYS imagined him talking in the same
voice and manner as Foghorn Leghorn. Which is pretty ironic, when you think
about it.
No comments:
Post a Comment