I won’t actually be in the country for tomorrow night’s Mastermind, peeps. Yes, the English Fool is heading off Abroad with his sketchbook again, this time to Helsinki. Still, I haven’t gone yet so I thought we might at least cast a glance over tomorrow night’s subjects – I will catch up with the show next weekend when I’m back.
The specialist subjects are :-
Neil Young
Major-winning golfer Rory McIlroy
American Astronaut Sally Ride
British brutalist Architecture
Interesting subjects. Sally Ride is of course the only one
to feature in the lyrics of Billy Joel’s We Didn’t Start the Fire. I reckon I
might get one or two on all of these subjects. I have to say that the last one,
British brutalist architecture is a particular hate of mine. Be fair, I was
born in the 60s and grew up in London in the 70s and we had more than our fair
share of these eyesores. I mean, I am not a fully paid up member of the
all-buildings-should-have-columns brigade and I accept that there was a need to
put up cheap mass housing in our cities after the devastation of World War 2.
But did they have to make them quite so pug-ugly? Alright, I know, it’s not
everything that was built between the 40s and 70s – just too much of it.
See you next weekend.
No comments:
Post a Comment