You must have been in this position before. You’re in an ordinary pub quiz and you hear a question and you just know that something about it is wrong with it. Last night we were asked this:-
What is the name of the object hit in a game of hockey? –
Now to me, that question had to be asking what you hit in a
game of ICE hockey. I just can’t see that you’d ask it if the answer was ball.
So I asked Anne, the question master, if that was what she meant. She fell back
on the old excuse of question masters who haven’t checked their answers properly
– oh, the source of the question just said hockey . – Then she looked at the answer and said –
but it looks like the answer means it must be ice hockey. – This sort of thing
is one reason I say that with quite a few of our question masters it does seem
that they can’t be arsed to check their quizzes before they ask them. That
aside, the quiz last night was okay, and there were a couple of really rather
good questions. Did you know that the US version of Gogglebox is called “The
People’s Couch” ? I didn’t, although my team guessed it. Unfortunately, I’m
sitting here this morning with my ears ringing. The thing about Anne is she
does shout into the microphone, and with her voice being a bit shrill in the
high registers it is actually quite painful. We even asked for the mic to be
surreptitiously turned down at half time, but the damage had been done by then.
The damage also appears to have been done to what I have
come to refer to as the ‘suspect’ team. There have been 6 quizzes since we instituted
the swap your answers over marking policy. The team I suspect of making up
their own scores have not played in any of those quizzes – despite turning up
to two of them. They didn’t come last night. I feel that the longer they leave
it to come back and play, the harder it will be for them to do so. Or are they maybe
waiting for everyone to forget what their scores were like when you marked your
own answers? Well, sorry guys, but it’ll be a long time before I do. If you are
going to come back, it’s better to rip that sticking plaster off now.
No comments:
Post a Comment