Being a quizzer and an ex-teacher means I could probably moan for Britain (England through birth, Scotland through ancestry or Wales through long term residency. I also have Irish ancestry, but too many generations back for me to qualify and French Huguenot ancestry from even further back. ) And one of the things long term viewers of Mastermind do like to moan about is the length and wordiness of too many of the questions. This is not exactly news to anyone, is it? Now, on the odd occasions that I have heard anyone official justifying this the argument has been that it plays fairer to the viewers at home who then have a bit more time to think of the answer yuttah yuttah.
I wonder. Is it maybe just possible that the repeat of
episodes from Mastermind – The Original Series on Monday evenings at 9pm will
maybe encourage the production team to rethink this? As I noted in a previous
post, BBC4 repeated the 1972 Grand Final last Monday. Yes, there were some
notable differences between this first final and what Mastermind – The Next
Generation has become. But one of the things worth noting was the sheer speed
with which the rounds moved . Yes, okay, the specialists were 2 and a half
minutes long, and the GK 3 minutes long, but blimey, they didn’t half cover
some ground and get through a lot of questions. To me, that’s a lot more
exciting than watching the poor old contender sit through a question so long
that you’ve forgotten the start of the question before Clive has got to the end
of it, who then passes or gives a wrong answer anyway.
And the thing is it doesn’t seem to be only me who feels
this way. That bastion of truth, honesty and fair play, the Daily Express,
published a thundering article in the week, claiming that angry viewers had
blasted the performance of last Monday’s 4 contenders. Typical clickbait
rubbish, but what was interesting was the number of comments from viewers
unfavourably comparing the questions on the current show compared with the 72
final. With the best will in the world, I do think that the style of questions
at the moment makes it very hard for a contender to build up any momentum, and
I honestly think that with shorter questions the average GK scores of the
contenders at least would increase. Blimey, it’s got to be worth a try, at least.
No comments:
Post a Comment