Well, there we are then. In the week that the Beeb announced that they will be putting Celebrity Mastermind out of our misery, how did the latest set of contenders do?
First to go was Ria Drabble . She was answering on British
Birds of Prey. Now, in my better late than never preview I suggested that it
was possible that I might get some points on each of tonight’s rounds, and in
the first half dozen questions or so I raced away to 3 points. I didn’t get any
more for the rest of the round, though. Ria too started well but struggled more
as the round went on and it was only with a late rally that she managed to post
a total of 5.
Josh Duckmanton was answering on my banker subject for the
night, the Roger Moore era of James Bond films. He too started very well. Like
Ria before him he suffered a mid-round wobble but managed to keep going and lift
his score to a respectable 8. As for me, well I did do slightly better than I
did on the birds of prey, levelling out at a further 4 points.
I can do nothing more than extend my sympathy to poor Gurdas
Singh Sually. He had the horrible experience of pushing his score nicely along
to 4 and then not answering another question correctly until the end of the
round, which was more than a minute away. I’ll be honest, my three points all
came from within the first few questions and I did not get any right after that.
Which is not to say that I think that this was a rogue set of questions, but it
does go to show what can happen in a specialist round, especially in a show
where there seemed to be something in the air, like tonight’s show.
After the previous three specialist rounds you maybe wouldn’t
have blamed Bryony Richards if she’d made a run for it at this stage, but she
didn’t. Bryony was answering on Sylvia Plath. This was the round where I
doubted if I was going to get any points, but I managed the one and that was
enough to take me to an aggregate of 12. Bryony always seemed calm and self-possessed
throughout the round, but she did not find it notably easier than the rest of
tonight’s contenders. With 6 points she’d have been out of contention in the
average show, but in terms of what was happening this did not appear to be an average
show.
First back was Gurdas. I thought that his round was
marginally tougher than the other GK rounds in tonight’s show, and it’s fair to
say that it turned out to be a bit of a grim old struggle. He scored 6 for a
total of 10. Chalk it up as one of those nights, sir, and put it behind you.
Ria, then, had an outside chance of taking an unlikely win
if she could produce a really good general knowledge round. Well, it didn’t
happen. To be fair, she scored 7, one more than Gurdas had managed, but in all
honesty it wasn’t a great round. Well, Ria, it’s a story you can tell to the
kids that you teach. Thank you for playing – we’d have no show if people weren’t
prepared to give it a go.
Bryony, as I said, was in with a shout, despite her modest
GK score. She adopted the tactic of trying to get through as many questions as
possible by passing anything where an answer didn’t occur to her straightaway.
And who is to say that the tactic didn’t work? She scored 9 to take her total
to 15. Normally this would not be a winning total. Tonight though it looked as
if anything could happen. The number of passes she had incurred looked
worrying, though.
Josh, then, needed an achievable 8 points to win. I say
achievable, but only Bryony had beaten it all evening. Josh had scored 8 on
specialist. As with so many rounds this evening, the pace slowed, and Josh
seemed to be wading through treacle in the last 30 seconds. He had 15, but the
16th point to make it certain just would not come. In the end
though, Bryony’s pass total was just too high, and Josh won. Well done, sir,
and good luck in the semis
Alright then, let me tackle the elephant in the room. In
terms of quality, that was not a very good heat. It’s difficult to guarantee
that you’re not going to have 4 modest scores in the same heat – combinations of
subjects can throw this up. It happens. It’s not the sort of thing you would
want to watch every week, I know. But no contender deliberately achieves a modest
score and as I said earlier, if we don’t have contenders willing to put
themselves into the firring line, then we don’t have a show.
|
Ria Drabble |
British Birds of Prey |
5 |
3 |
7 |
4 |
12 |
7 |
|
Josh Duckmanton |
James Bond: The Roger
Moore Years |
8 |
1 |
7 |
3 |
15 |
4 |
|
Gurdas Singh Sually |
King Charles I |
4 |
2 |
6 |
3 |
10 |
5 |
|
Bryony Richards |
Sylvia Plath |
6 |
2 |
9 |
5 |
15 |
7 |
No comments:
Post a Comment