OK – without further ado here’s the answers to the sets of questions from some of my recently acquired more venerable quiz books.
1) Complete the following remarks, and say by whom they were first made : -
a) In England there are a hundred different ------- and only one --------
b) England is a nation of -------------------
c) The English winter, ending in ------------ To recommence in ---------
d) Oats. A grain , which in England is generally given to ------------ but in Scotland supports the -----------
e) What answer was actually given to statement d ?
a) In England there are a hundred different RELIGIONS and only one SAUCE ( MARCHESE CARACCIOLI, A NEOPOLITAN DIPLOMAT )
b) England is a nation of SHOPKEEPERS (NAPOLEON)
c) The English winter, ending in JULY To recommence in AUGUST (BYRON)
d) Oats. A grain , which in England is generally given to HORSES but in Scotland supports the –PEOPLE (JOHNSON’S DICTIONARY)
e) What answer was actually given to statement d ? (BUT WHERE ELSE WILL YOU FIND SUCH HORSES AND SUCH PEOPLE ?)
2) What seven varieties of brassica are commonly grown in English vegetable gardens
KALE, BROCCOLI, BRUSSELS SPROUTS, CABBAGE, CAULIFLOWER, SAVOY, TURNIP3) Nursery Rhymes : -
a) Who married the maiden all forlorn
THE PRIEST ALL SHAVEN AND SHORN MARRIED HER TO THE MAN ALL TATTERED AND TORN
b) How many miles to Babylon ?
FOUR SCORE MILES AND TEN
c) What did we Willie Winkie cry through the lock ?
ARE THE CHILDREN ALL IN BED, ITS PAST EIGHT O’CLOCK
4) Of what metal are the alloys brass, bronze, mild steel , German silver and electrum made ?
BRASS – COPPER AND ZINC; BRONZE – COPPER AND TIN; MILD STEEL – IRON AND CARBON ; GERMAN SILVER – COPPER, ZINC AND NICKEL ; ELECTRUM – GOLD AND SILVER
5) Distinguish between chloroform, chlorophyll, chlorodyne, chlorobromide and chlorosis
CHLOROFORM – AN ANAESTHETIC
CHLOROPHYLL – GREEN COLOURING MATTER IN LEAVES
CHLORODYNE – COUGH MEDICINE
CHLOROBROMIDE – A PHOTOGRAPHIC PROCESS
CHLOROSIS – A FORM OF ANAEMIA
1) What is or was a Tyburn Ticket ?
IT WAS A CERTIFICATE GIVEN TO A SUCCESSFUL PROSECUTOR WHO GAINED A CAPITAL CONVICTION OF A PRISONER, WHICH EXEMPTED HIM FROM ALL PARISH AND WARD OFFICES IN THE PARISH WHERE THE FELNOY WAS COMMITTED.
2) If you happened to be on Ilkley Moor bar t’at, what might you find on stones having been carved there during the iron age ?
MANY STONES ON ILKLEY MOOR HAVE IRON AGE SWASTIKAS CARVED UPON THEM
3) Who lived close to the Dropping Well ?
4) A building at Bowes, near Barnard Castle, was the inspiration for which institution in a Charles Dickens novel ?
DOTHEBOYS HALL IN NICHOLAS NICKLEBY
5) Which Yorkshire town was known as The Merrie City ?
1) An 18th century battle has given its name to a famous English building, a breed of dog, and a fruit. Which battle – which building – which breed of dog – which fruit ?
BATTLE OF BLENHEIM
BLENHEIM ORANGE ( WHICH IS AN APPLE )
2) Which real places are supposed to b the originals of these fictional towns – Cranford – Casterbridge – Troy Town – Tamarisk Town ?
3) Who –
a) ate grass as the oxen ?
b) walked with God and was not ?
c) was hanged on the gallows he had prepared for another man ?
4) What things are named after : -
DOPPLER EFFECT / DOPPLER SHIFT
5) What is gavial ?
1) Who said – “Patriotism is not enough “
2) What is the correct meaning of ‘accolade’ ?
THE CEREMONIAL BESTOWING OF A KNIGHTHOOD
3) In the chanting of psalms, what are the divisions called ?
4) What has a borough got that an ordinary town has not ?
A ROYAL CHARTER
5) Buna is an artificial form of what ?