Saturday 25 March 2023

So tell us, Dave, how did Thursday's quiz go?

Well, what would you like me to say? I could be modest – actually I’m not sure that I could –but I could say that the quiz was alright in the club on Thursday. But judging it by my own set of criteria and they’re the only ones I’ve got, judging by them I think it went down pretty well. In case you’re wondering, the criteria can be pretty much summarised as – no low scores in any round – no complaining about the answers I gave – plenty of laughs around the club and all four teams separated by a measly two points at the end of the night. My team, who were down to just Jess, Dan and George because Adam has been in contact with Covid and wanted to make sure that he didn’t inadvertently pass it on to anyone else even though he is showing no symptoms. Going into the last round they were two points behind the leaders, but they had won the handout, and were actually the joint leaders on the road, to use a Tour de France analogy. They didn’t quite do it in the end, but you mark my words. They are going to win one of my ordinary quizzes (they’ve already won my end of year quiz twice) and they are going to do it soon.

Why do I think so? Well, because they’re improving. And I don’t think any of the other teams are. It works like this. I honestly believe that over a period of a good three or four years, regularly setting a quiz will make you a better quizzer – or it will if you do it properly. After that ou maybe become a little set in your ways, and it probably tails off. For example, I wouldn’t kid myself that I’m anything like as good a quizzer as I was maybe 10 years ago. But Dan, Jess and Adam are all taking their turn in setting the quiz for the rugby club now. And over the last couple of months each of them has said, in response to questions – oh, I think I read that when I was putting my quiz together – or words to that effect and supplied an answer we wouldn’t otherwise have had.

Jess is the question master next week. I know she gets a little bit like I do – when I’ve put a few questions that I like together, or a handout I think is quite clever together I want to tell people about it before the quiz takes place – I have a feeling she does as well. For that reason I think she’ll be glad when Thursday comes.

For example, last week I came up with this set of connections. Not the hardest in the quiz, but for some reason I really liked this set when it occurred to me. See what you think:-

1.    Which 70s band, with Nile Rogers on base, scored hits with The Greatest Dancer and Le Freak, among others?

2.    Which instrument can be lever, celtic or concert, among others?

3.    Who or what is Oscar, who lives in a trash can on Sesame Street?

4.    What is the connection between your last three answers?

I’m sure that you’ve figured it out. In case not: -

1.    Chic

2.    Harp

3.    The Grouch

4.    Add an O to each and you have a Marx Brother

No? Oh well, little things please little minds, I suppose.

3 comments:

Andrew B. said...

Nice group of connections: you could add "What was Judy Garland's original surname" for a fourth connection, but I don't know how you could complete the set!

Londinius said...

Which captain, a space detective was played in a little known BBC1 children's TV series of the 1980s, played by Paul Greenwood in the first series?

I did think about including Gummo and Zeppo but the format I went with was 3 part connections for the first 7 rounds and a nine part connection for the last.

Thanks for dropping by

Andrew B. said...

Captain Zepp! Now there's a blast from the past...