Sunday 12 March 2023

Putting Yourself In Jeopardy

I think that the last time that I applied for a quiz show was 7 years ago, in 2016, for a show called 500 questions, that had been a success in America. To be fair I did get as far as the audition stage. Mind you, so did a lot of other people. Once the Mastermind thing was brought out during the audition I had the distinct feeling that I wouldn’t be going any further. Maybe it wasn’t that. Maybe the production team just didn’t like the cut of my jib, or my ‘face for radio’ as I’ve heard it described. Who knows?

My last successful audition was in 2014 for Fifteen to One. That was a bit of a rum do as well. I applied, got a call back asking me to come for an audition in Cardiff the day after I flew off to Spain. I had stated clearly on my form that I wasn’t available on that day. They said that they’d call me back in a couple of weeks time, but didn’t. However the annual MENSA gathering was being staged in Cardiff that year, and Fifteen to One were holding open auditions, and so I got into the show through that particular back route.

I’m lucky in as much as I actually enjoy auditions. Don’t know if it’s because I’m a show off – probably, come to think of it. It’s about two decades since my first ever audition, which was for the first series of Eggheads. There were three teams auditioning against each other at the same time. We won, the other two teams got on and we didn’t. That’s showbusiness.

So I’m sure you’ll have worked out that this chaff is leading up to the announcement that I have sent in an application for a show that’s in the pipeline. What has made me apply, though?

Well, I’m guided by a few basic principles before making an application. In no particular order :-

·       I only apply to reappear on a show I’ve already been on if I think I have a realistic chance of doing better than I did first time round. That’s why I reapplied to Mastermind after going out in the first round in 2006, and why I have never reapplied to Brain of Britain after being joint runner up in 2010. (Don’t say I never will, but no plans at the moment.)

·       I won’t apply for a show that has a presenter I can’t stand, because although I can act I don’t fancy the strain of pretending.

·       I won’t apply for a show that I wouldn’t watch when it was on TV.

·       I won’t apply for a show where there are factors other than your knowledge or skill on a buzzer which will determine the outcome – for example Tipping Point where the random drop of the coins determines so much.

·       In order to apply for a show now, I have to really think that I fancy a go at it. If I’m in two minds then I make it a rule not to apply.

So which show has managed to steer clear of all of these potential obstacles on the highway to Dave’s application? The latest attempt to bring Jeopardy to the UK. If you’re interested the link to apply is

Jeopardy Application

No comments: