Saturday 18 March 2023

I have broken a personal rule

Yeah, I have. To be honest there’s few personal rules that I’ve set for myself that I haven’t broken at one time or another. I’ll try my best to elucidate.

So, if we go back to talking about the quiz in the rugby club, I returned to playing in it in August of 2021. Before my quizzing lost weekend I’d taken my turn as Question Master and setter as much as anyone else and at least once a month. For a lot of that time I would have done it every week if I’d been allowed. I’ve said in the past that from when I first started playing in quizzes in 1988 I was a pretty useful quizzer, but that period from 1995 for the next few years, when I’d started putting together quizzes for the club, that was when I became the quizzer that I was, however good or bad that might have been. I loved making the quiz as much as I enjoyed playing in it. But when I came back my attitude was – look, for over 2 decades I did more quizzes than pretty much anyone else – allowing for the fact that Brian passed away in 2017 – so let other people do it.

Well, over a few months that changed into I’ll do the New Year quiz, but not others, and then to I’ll do the New Year Quiz, and if I’m asked I’ll think about doing an ordinary quiz. Well, I was asked again a couple of weeks ago, and the quiz is going to be next Thursday evening.

So what’s this personal rule I’ve broken? It’s like this. I don’t like picture quizzes. I’ve mentioned this before. I just don’t have the recognition skills for it, and to be honest one blonde haired starlet or musician looks much the same as any other to me. But – and this is the important thing – I think that many people who play in the quiz do like picture quizzes. There are quite a few regular setters who don’t often do picture quizzes now, so when I do a quiz I really feel that I should have a picture handout. Remember, dearly beloved, it’s not about what you like when you put a quiz together, it’s about giving people playing the best evening that you can.

But . . . I was putting the quiz together today and I had an idea for a cryptic handout. So I did it. No names, no pack drill at the moment, just in case any of the players are reading this. I did think twice, bearing in mind that I’m using connections in the quiz as well. I don’t want the quiz to feel ‘too much like hard work’ for anyone. Well, what the hell, I can always go back to pictures for the next time . . . if there is a next time. I have tried to make sure that the questions are fair. I’ll try my best to explain that.

One of the questions we had in Thursday night’s quiz was “Who won I’m A Celebrity Get Me Out of Here in 2017” Alright, it’s not unfair as such. But it’s the kind of question where – bearing in mind that this is only a pub quiz – I don’t see why you’d think anyone might know the answer to it. It’s over five years ago, so it’s not what you would call a current question. I wouldn’t say that it was a particularly notable winner either – I’m sure that Georgia Toffolo, despite her political views, is a very nice person but come on, she’s not exactly a household name.

I can feel a rant coming on about the kind of questions that I really don’t like in quizzes, so I shall stop now.

No comments: