Who or what are the following, and why have they been in the news ?
1) Patrick Makau
2) Luca Amorosino
3) Serafin Marin
5) Christopher McGuire
6) Albert Haines
8) Daniel Tidy
9) Rory Weal
10) Amos Wayne Richard
11) Wangari Maathai
12) Joe le Cava
14) Alan Graham
16) Adam Stockton
17) John Hemming MP
18) Jane Pugh
19) Carolyn Still
20) Titus Bramble
21) Alison Beer
22) Elijah Sutherland
23) Michael Aimir Williams
24) Heavenly Palace
25) Siraj Ali
26) Maurice Tovey
27) Natalie Ayres
28) Yousef Naderkhani
29) Michael Cohen
30) Carley Storey
31) Robert Ford
33) Arch West
35) HMT Lancastria
36) Hayden Smith and Jay Hanley
37) Matthew Boulton and James Watt
38) Zbigniew Lebek
39) Baroness Shackleton
40) John Stewart
In Other News
1) What is the name of the Chinese equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize, discontinued after a year ?
2) Where in Cornwall did the RNLI themselves have to be rescued ?
3) How many national anthems did the London Philharmonic finally finish recording last week for the 2012 Olympics ?
4) Governor Rick Perry of Texas suffered a serious setback to his run for the Republican nomination last week, when he did badly in the straw poll in which state ?
5) Pets in Blue Peter are being sidelined in favour of what ?
6) In a poll what was voted the greatest ever TV interview ?
7) Inmates in the Parc Prison in Bridgend have complained that what is an infringement of their human rights ?
8) Which famous album cover was recreated last week ?
9) The Labour Party Conference was held in which city ?
10) Which 89 year old TV producer and writer passed away last week ?
11) In an FA Youth Cup tie at Newport County, a referee sent off 6 members of which club ?
12) The ITV Exposure on Gaddaffi and the IRA made which booboo last week ?
13) Teacher Rosalyn Holloway was struck off for 4 years last week for threatening pupils with what ?
14) Last week Philip Glenister caused consternation when he claimed that he created which catchphrase ?
15) In which city did new Underground bullet trains crash last week ?
16) The Boeing 787 Dreamliner launched last week has which revolutionary construction method ?
17) Julie Lee Delisle officially owns what in West Wittering, Sussex ?
18) Parts of Lancashire and Cumbria are to be added to what ?
19) What is the nickname of the rugby stadium in Wellington which has hosted many RWC matches ?
20) Which is thus far the best selling book in the UK, far outstripping the next highest sellers ? ( It isn’t the Quiz Show Quiz Book. According to Amazon this had not sold a single copy on Kindle yet, although I have sold one through the web store – thank you very much you kind, kind soul. )
21) Who has become the oldest living performer ever to have a number one album in the US ?
22) Which song did Ed Milliband say sums up his whole philosophy ?
23) Where did a beached Skei whale die, some 800 metres from the water ?
24) Which council caused headlines in the recent heatwave by preparing its gritters ?
25) Rio Ferdinand lost a landmark privacy case against which newspaper ?
26) Whose diary was left at Glasgow Concert Hall on Sunday ?
27) Who will never play for Man City again – according to his manager ?
28) Which is Europe’s top city for travel without a car ?
29) What is the name of the new Amazon tablet ( on which you can definitely get The Quiz Show Quiz Book !) ?
30) Which local council was in the news last week for fining loud rag and bone men ?
31) The speed camera on Rhwbina Hill in Cardiff made the news last week, with the number of vehicles it has caught over the last 12 months. How many exactly ?
32) What sort of vending machines have been barred in England ?
33) How much must shops charge for carrier bags in Wales now ?
34) The town of Royston announced its desire to be twinned with which city ?
35) Goths have been banned from the churchyard in which town ?
36) Ecstasy is to be trialed as a treatment for what in the UK ?
37) OFCOM upheld complaints about singers’ skimpy outfits and suggestive moves on which TV show ?
38) Which company announced their intention to use high pitched noise only dogs can hear in their dogfood adverts in Austria ?
Who or what are the following and why were they in the news ?
1) He broke the world marathon record in berlin, with a stunning 2:03:38
2) He scored Argentina’s try to beat Scotland in the Rugby World Cup
3) He killed the last bull in the last ever bullfight in Barcelona
4) Named as UK’s best place for bringing up children
5) Charged with the Nurofen contamination
6) First Broadmoor inmate to have his appeal open to the public
7) Ship sunk by U Boat in WWII – found, with £148m of silver
8) Ironically fined by Edinburgh Magistrates for fly tipping
9) 16 year old schoolboy who addressed the Labour Party conference ( this year’s William Hague )
10) Man who saved himself by crawling through Utah desert for 4 days with 2 broken legs
11) 1st Black African Nobel Peace prize winner, who passed away last week
12) Tiger Woods’ new caddie – allegedly ‘poached’ from Dustin Johnson
14) Northern Ireland farmer who kicked Rihanna off his land where she was making her video – she was showing more of herself than he thought was decent, and suggested that she found a closer relationship with God.
15) Sex toy company who will be the first such company to advertise on daytime TV on ITV
16) He was caught poaching through a picture a friend posted on Facebook
17) MP , whose wife broke into his mistress’ home and stole a kitten
18) Blackpool council took her wheelie bin away because she put it two feet away from where it should be kept.
19) Boss of Macclesfield town – youngest football boss in England
20) The Sunderland footballer was arrested on suspicion of sex and drug related charges
21) Head of Worthing High School who has banned term time holidays
22) He was jailed for contempt of court when he took a photo of his friend in Gloucester Crown Court.
23) Michael Jackson’s PA who gave evidence in the trial of Dr. Conrad Murray
24) English translation of Tiangong 1 – the name of the unmanned Chinese space station launched last week
25) The bomb plotter who the government are unable to deport to Eritrea
26) 91 year old tagged for causing death by dangerous driving
27) Microsoft female executive awarded £1m payout for sexism
28) Iranian Pastor sentenced to death for apostasy – he was born a muslim, but converted.
29) British swimmer who was rescued in South Africa after his leg was bitten off by a Great White Shark
30) Rio Ferdinand’s alleged long term mistress
31) US Ambassador to Syria pelted with eggs and tomatoes in Damascus
32) The popular cross eyed opossum in a german zoo, which passed away last week.
33) The 97 year old creator of Doritos who passed away last week.
34) Oliver Cromwell’s horse. A jug made from its hide turned up on the Antiques Roadshow
35) Britain’s worst ever maritime disaster – finally a memorial has been raised
36) Two teenagers who saved an elderly man whose mobility scooter was stuck on a level crossing in Southampton as a train was coming
37) They feature on the new £50 note, whose design was shown to the public last week
38) Polish man jailed for making Nazi salute to a jewish man at Glan Clwyd hospital
39) Divorce lawyer who allegedly marked up fees for celebrity clients
40) Heathrow 3rd runway protestor barred from entering the USA
In Other News
1) The Confucius Prize
2) Booby’s Bay ( honestly , I’m not making it up )
5) Items about smartphone apps
6) Frost – Nixon
7) The fact that they can only get Sky Sports 1 on TV. They want all the other Sky Sport channels as well.
8) Animals by Pink Floyd. The original pig wouldn’t work this time, so they had to have a new one.
10) David Croft
11) Bath City
12) BY mistake they included footage from a video game
14) Fire Up The Quattro
16) It is the world’s first carbon composite jet
17) The Best Beach Hut in Britain
18) The Yorkshire Dales National Park
19) ‘The Cake Tin’
20) One Day , by David Nicholls
21) Tony Bennett
22) Don’t Stop Believing – by Journey
23) Sheffling- East Yorks
25) The Sunday Mirror
26) Theresa may
27) Carlos Tevez
29) Kindle Fire ( Fire up the Kindle ? Nah !)
32) Cigarette machines
33) 5 pence
35) Whitby – it’s a mecca for Goths due to its mention in Bram Stoker’s “Dracula”
36) Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
37) The X Factor Final – Rihanna and Christina Aguilera
38) Nestle – Purina