Sunday 14 July 2013

University Challenge Tape Plea

I received an email from Meredith Lloyd-Evans, the captain of the Churchill College Cambridge team that won University Challenge in 1970.-

"Hi Dave Londinius
I was captain of Churchill College winning team 1970.
I’m contacting you because you might know how I can find out if anyone ever video’d our matches – apparently Granada lost the tapes in a flood or wiped them…. The matches contain some gem moments that it would be great to recapture. Meredith"


I'm afraid I don't know anyone who might have a tape, and I'm afraid that Granada's wiping of the original tapes was all too typical of TV companies' penny pinching attitudes in the early /mid 70s - some great old Doctor Whos were wiped by the Beeb at around the same time. 1970 seems a little early for a home taping, but you never know. So if by any chance you either have a tape of the final, or know where we can get one, or even just have a lead or a hunch, could you either email me, or post a comment here, and I'll get in touch with Meredith to let him know.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

While we're on the subject of UC, I'm indebted as always to Weaver's Week for the welcome news that the new series starts tomorrow. Back of the net!

No comments: