Sunday 3 March 2024

Serving up a Steaming Load of Arsenal

Since returning to the rugby club quiz in 2021 I’ve said that I’m not really interested in setting the quiz on a regular basis any more, but I will do it now and again if I’m asked to. Well, I got hoist with my own petard when Dai N. asked me to do the quiz this coming Thursday.

It’s done now, just needs printing. I think it’s alright. But I must admit that I was a little bit tempted to mess around a bit. Back in the nineties when I started compiling the quiz, I was always on the lookout for a new gimmick I could introduce. Few of them worked out and were reused.

Well, when I sat down to start compiling this one a rather stupid idea came to me. You see, Jess, and some of the kids at school have said that some times I come out with something silly and because it’s delivered with conviction and I have the reputation of being a know-all they don’t know if it’s true or if I’m joking.  A lot of the kids say far worse things about me than that, however we all have our crosses to bear. So I did think about putting at least one deliberate wrong ‘un in each round, such as “Which Hollywood star also invented the pop-up toaster? Answer – Clark Gable. Which of course is a steaming load of Arsenal since it was a guy called Chares Perkins Strite. Then I thought at the end of each round I could ask them for the 10th question to say which question in the round was bogus.

No, I didn’t do it. I’ve got enough of a reputation for being a smartarse at the quiz as it is anyway, a reputation I only enhanced on Thursday by telling the QM that what he called and oviposter is actually pronounced ovipositor, and that Beowulf in fact defeated three monsters, rather than just the one. That second one does not reflect that well on me since I knew damn well that the answer he would want was Grendel, but dash it all, sir, I didn’t go through all the difficulty or translating that whole poem from Anglo Saxon into modern English at university to have it misrepresented in that way! For the record, after he defeated Grendel, Grendel’s mum came up out of the mire looking for revenge, so Beowulf dived into the mire and sent her to the same place he'd sent her son, and then at the end of the poem Beowulf, who is now old, has inherited the kingdom of the Geats, which is threatened by a dragon. Incidentally Tolkein’s Smaug is taken directly from this same dragon. Beowulf, deserted by all of his men save a young shaver called Wiglaf, defeats the dragon but is mortally wounded in the process.

Have a good week.

No comments: