Thursday 21 March 2024

Pizzagate continued

I didn’t go to the monthly film quiz last month. I was feeling completely knackered at the time and rather down. Last night I wasn’t feeling much better if truth be told but I felt that I should go in the hope that it might perk me up a little bit.

Now, the team did go last time when the category was Sci Fi movies and although they were only a few points behind the winners at the end they were not on the podium. So, as we walked in yesterday the organiser who really doesn’t like us very much made a pointed comment about the last quiz. The poor idiot seemed to be labouring under the impression that it would have made much of a difference if I’d played. It wouldn’t have, and I say that with authority being the weakest player on the team (in a modern film quiz).

Yeah we did win. The theme was animated movies and we won fairly comfortably. Ironically this seemed to confirm the organisers’ idea that I really would have made a difference.

Now, if you’re a regular reader, you may recall earlier posts I’ve made this year about the league which ran throughout 2023 in this quiz. No prizes were presented in the end of the year. In the January quiz a couple of months ago it was announced that we would each receive our choice of T-shirt. I wasn’t impressed. I was even less impressed when the team told me that in the February quiz this underwhelming prize was rescinded, and we were each given vouchers for a pizza instead. I can only say that I’m grateful I wasn’t there at the time because I might well have ended up telling them to shove their pizza right up where no sun shines.

The stupid thing is that if they’d said that the league is only a bit of extra fun and there would be no prizes from the start I’d have been perfectly alright with that. Still, there we are.

I did not think that they could rub our noses in it any more than they have already been rubbed. Au contraire. Every quiz there is a consolation prize for the lowest – or sometimes second lowest – scoring team. Guess what it was last night? That’s right – a pizza voucher for each member of the team. The same prize for coming last in ONE quiz as was given to the winners of the whole-year league.

Jess and Dan had their pizzas last night. I wasn’t interested. But I now have visions of giving over my voucher next month and being told its too late to use it!

No comments: