Sunday, 9 August 2026

Vintage Mastermind on BBC4

Of course, the silver lining to the cloud of having no new episode of Mastermind tomorrow night is that we do have an episode of Mastermind from 1977 on BBC4. The specialist subjects are The Alps, symphony orchestra instruments, children’s literature and the Old Testament.

I remember the 1977 series well. I turned 13 in 1977 and I’m pretty sure I watched most if not all of the shows in the series. It had really got into its stride by then and was well on the way to becoming a national institution. The 1977 series was won by Sir David Hunt, retired diplomat. I remember that in his heat he was defeated by, if I recall correctly, Lord Timothy Beaumont, when, according to Magnus’ book, he became rather too interested in the questions. He didn’t make that mistake in the repechage or the final.

He’s not in tomorrow night’s show, the first episode of the series, well, not according to the photo on the Mastermind webpage. 9pm tomorrow.

No comments: