Thursday evening also saw the last of three weeks in a row when participants at the club have been fortunate enough to play in quizzes set by members of my team. A fortnight ago was mine, last week was my daughter Jess’ and Thursday was my son in law Dan’s. Three weeks of quality quizzing. The quiz before mine was Dai’s quiz, and he’s my favourite of the question masters from other teams. He still drops a clanger from time to time but by and large he’s pretty reliable.
Which is more than I can say about this week’s
scheduled question master for it’s none other than Captain Slapdash himself.
The most frustrating thing about the Captain is that he is capable of composing
some really interesting and well thought out questions. However he is every bit
as capable of dropping huge and avoidable clangers. I’ve written about this
before - basically I mean wrong answers,
wrong questions, and mistakes that would be so easy to avoid if he only checked
–
Whether what he thinks he is asking is actually what
he is asking
Whether the answer he thinks is right is actually
right.
It’s pretty basic stuff and you can’t skimp on the
checking if you want your quiz to be as correct as it can possibly be. I can’t
believe that the Captain does check his stuff like this. I don’t even think he can read it
through when it’s completed. Let me give you an example I’ve given more than
once – he once asked us “What is the connection between The last King of Libya
and Thomas the Tank Engine?” To which the answer is – there probably isn’t one.
The last king of Libya was King Idris, while Idris the Dragon featured in some
episodes of Ivor the Engine, not Thomas the Tank Engine.
These last four weeks have also been the four weeks in
which we have used the swap your answers marking policy. And no, the suspect
team did not turn up again on Thursday. As I said, I don’t want them run out of
the quiz and I don’t want to have them feel as if they’re being made an example
of. But if we are going to play in the quiz, I just want to be able to feel
that the scores we all report are kosher. Time will tell. They’ll either come
back or they won’t, and if they do then they’ll either play or they won’t. I
can’t help saying that I hope they do. I’d like to know if my suspicions are
correct or completely unfounded.
No comments:
Post a Comment