Saturday 31 December 2011

New Year's Quiz Resolutions

Is it really time to make my New Year Quiz Resolutions all over again ? Well, yes, I’m afraid it is, and I’ve had to really think about whether I should yet again carry over the same resolution which I have been totally unable to keep– namely to stop saying that any team who have beaten us in a quiz must have been cheating, even if they have actually been using their phones in front of us. I am honest enough to admit that the evil of phone cheating is just far too annoying to me for me to be able to hold my tongue when I see it happening. Therefore a more realistic resolution would be : -

*I resolve to stop automatically saying that any team who beat us in a straight pub quiz must automatically be cheating on their phones, and to hold my tongue unless I, or a reliable witness, has actually seen them doing it.

Being realistic I think I have a chance of keeping this one at least until the end of January, although next week’s New Year quiz at the club will be a huge test. Watch this space on that one.

• I resolve to not close the door to appearing on some other broadcast quiz, but only to apply to something because it might be fun.

Yes, it’s the same as last year, and why not ?

• I resolve to keep working on my weak areas

Again, another carry over. It brought me good results this year, and I hope it will continue to do so next year.

• I resolve to try harder to try to attend at least one or two grand prix events this year.

That’s pretty self-explanatory. If I’m honest I didn’t really try very hard last year at all, and was too easily put off for a number of reasons. I’ll at least TRY to try harder to attend this year.

• I resolve to try to listen to my team mates more carefully, and more sympathetically – even if I’m pretty sure that the answer they have suggested is very wrong.

That’s a new one. I have hated it in the past when teammates have brushed off my suggestions for answers , and yet I’m guilty of doing it myself now – a lot. I’ll work on this.

• I resolve above all else to enjoy my quizzing throughout the next year as much as I have enjoyed it this year.

Yes, another carry over, but then this one is what it’s all about. I wish you all a Happy New Year.

No comments: