Thursday 22 December 2011

Dear Santa

Yes, here we are, last day of the school term, and time for my annual plea to Santa, in the form of a review of how well I have managed to stick to my New Year quiz resolutions. Let’s get this first one out of the way : -

• I resolve to stop saying that any team who beat us in a straight pub quiz must have cheated, even when they have actually been using their phones in front of us.

Famous last words. Being realistic I said that I would be happy if I could keep this one until June. I didn’t even make it out of January. I don’t wish to sour the festive season with another diatribe about phone cheating, and so I will just do as I always do, and promise to at least try to try harder to keep it this year.

Verdict - Naughty

• I resolve to not close the door to appearing on some other broadcast quiz, but only to apply to something because it might be fun.

It’s the first year for some time that I haven’t at least recorded a show for broadcast. Between ourselves I came fairly close to being on one of the last Weakest Links, but it didn’t happen. Shame. So I haven’t closed the door, and who knows what the future might hold ?

Verdict - Nice

• I resolve to keep working on my weak areas as I have been since joining the quiz league this Autumn.

Yes, I have done this. Oh, don’t misunderstand me, really good quizzers won’t be quaking in their boots, believe you me, but I have kept it up – and enjoyed it, too.

Verdict - Nice

• I resolve to try harder to attend at least one or two grand prix events this year.

I’m sorry about this one. I can’t really go on making excuses, and I will , yes definitely will, try to attend at least one in 2012.

Verdict - Naughty

• I resolve to try even harder not to criticise a quiz unfairly , even when the questions are not especially to my liking.

I think I’ve done pretty well on this score. Reading back through previous posts I think I rate pretty low on the slag-off-o-meter for once. So I go for : -

Verdict - Nice

• I resolve above all else to enjoy my quizzing throughout the next year as much as I have enjoyed it this year.

This is easy. Even the fact that I have been so angry about the phone cheating on occasions just shows how important my quizzing is, and how much I have enjoyed it. Thanks to everyone who has made it such a pleasure.

Verdict – Nice

So five nices to two naughties. Hopefully that will do for Santa. Here’s hoping that all of you get everything you could wish for. Merry Christmas.

1 comment:

DanielFullard said...

Merry Xmas David and my new years resoltuons that I will be posting soon include to attend a Grand Prix so I may see you there!