Sunday 28 May 2023

Something in the Air

There was something in the air last Thursday evening and I’m not talking about the smell of the steelworks, either. To be fair it’s been quite a long time since the steelworks left the town smelling like an open sewer, however I digress, and back to the subject. It was my turn to be question master on Thursday evening. Actually that’s not true. I’d actually been asked to do it this coming Thursday, but Howard whose turn it was asked me to swap. I couldn’t think of a good reason why not – and believe me, I tried.

Now, up until last Thursday my team had never won one of my general knowledge quizzes, only my end of year quizzes. However, they’d been getting closer and closer each time. I haven’t been surprised about this. Dan, Jess and Adam all set quizzes for the club now and I’ve told you before how becoming a regular question master made me a much better quizzer. Now, maybe this is just hindsight talking, but I couldn’t help wondering on Thursday evening whether this was going to be the night.

It didn’t look more likely than normal in the start as they were a point or two behind. But then it turned out to be nip and tuck through the first half, and indeed here was never more than a few points between all four teams during the question rounds. My guys were ahead for much of he second half, and at the end they tied on the questions wih one of the other teams.

However.

That was before the handout scores were added on. Now the fact is that my guys are pretty mustard on handouts, and Thursday evening was no different. They comfortably won, giving them he overall win.

Somehow, I feel a little like a parent bird, watching my fledgelings flying for the first time.

2 comments:

Daniel Ayres said...

It was a lucky evening and a real team effort. Great quiz

Londinius said...

Thank you kindly, sir.