Thursday 3 November 2022

Mastermind's '6 and Over Club'

I’ve pretty much completed my database of contenders with the help of you wonderful LAM readers. You may recall that it was me checking to see how many series that Mel Kinsey has taken part in that made me remember that the database is incomplete. Well, checking this it occurred to me to wonder who have appeared on the most number of shows. I say shows because it is possible to appear in three shows in any given series if you get to the final. I thought it might be interesting to share this with you.

Now, I should state from the start that I do make mistakes, and if I have made any in this, then I apologise. Also, this might not be completely accurate, since I have only very limited information about Discovery Mastermind in 2001. So where contenders on the list appeared on Discovery Mastermind to my knowledge, I have only counted one appearance.

I have only included known appearances on regular Mastermind – the original series, the radio series, Discovery Mastermind and the revived series. This means I haven’t included appearances on Champion of Champions – which would push Geoff Thomas up to double figures.

As it is, he’s in the top 5. There’s no surprise that the late Hamish Cameron holds the record for both the number of series in which he appeared and the number of individual shows in which he appeared. Likewise triple finalist Mark Grant shouldn’t really come as a surprise to anyone. 13 shows from 5 series gives him an average of 2.6 shows per series. Which is only the third best since Diane Hallagan’s 8 from 3 series gives her an average of 2.67. Which is not quite as good as Ian Bayley’s 6 from 2 series, an unbeatable average of 3. John Beynon, Neil Wright and Roger Canwell all also have an average of slightly higher than 2 shows per series.

Does it matter? Well, no, in the great scheme of things I don’t suppose that it does very much. But it’s interesting. It’s also interesting to speculate whether Hamish’s total will ever be beaten. It won’t be beaten by Isabel following her win. Mel speculated on Facebook earlier this week about making an appearance in his 80s but didn’t say that he would. I have no idea what Mark’s plans are but considering he has a very good claim to being the greatest contender never to actually win a series so far you’d have to say it’s a possibility. Another final appearance would equal the record for shows.

Then if we look down to the 8s our own Rachael ‘Cherryade’ Neiman-Wiseman has more than once been just a whisker away from getting to the final. Only she could say if she intends keeping going until she makes it, but if she did, then she’d certainly join the double figures club.

Whatever the future holds, I raise a metaphorical glass to all the members of the 6 and over club and offer a heartfelt apology to anyone I’ve missed out.

Name

No of Series

No of Shows

Hamish Cameron

8

16

Mark Grant

5

13

Isabelle Heward

5

10

Mel Kinsey

6

10

Geoff Thomas*

4

9

David Love

5

8

Diane Hallagan

3

8

Rachael Neiman-Wiseman

4

8

Gillian Taylor

4

7

Hazel Humphreys

4

7

John Beynon

3

7

Les Morrell

4

7

Neil Wright

3

7

Roger Canwell

3

7

Stewart Cross*

4

7

Beth Webster

5

6

Brian Daugherty

4

6

Colin Daffern

3

6

Derek Moody

4

6

Gareth Kingston

3

6

Ian Bayley

2

6

Paula Keaveney

4

6

Sheila Altree **

4

6

Wendy Forrester

3

6

 *I don’t have complete records on Discovery Mastermind, so it’s quite possible that these contenders had more than one appearance in that series – I have credited them with just the one until I know better.

**Sheila appeared in the 1985 series first round after having previously appeared under her previous name. Before 1995 contenders were not allowed to appear in more than one series, and so after winning her first round heat in 1985 Sheila was disqualified. Had this not happened then she would definitely have made at least one other appearance.

2 comments:

Paul Gilbert said...

Thanks for this, Dave!

According to my data (only Humphrys and Myrie eras) there are a few others:

Stephen Porter appeared in 4 different series (2004, 2008-09, 2010-11, 2015-16), reaching the semis in the latter two - 6 appearances in total.

Andrew Warmington appeared in 3 different series (2004, 2009-10, 2013-14), reaching the semis on each occasion - 6 appearances in total.

Brian Chesney has reached the final twice (2013-14, 2017-18), winning on the latter occasion - 6 appearances in total.

And I believe Derek Moody is on 7 appearances (first round in 2004, semis in 2005, final in 2007-08, first round in 2017-18).

Londinius said...

Hi Paul - just shows how prone to human error I am, or my database is not as complete as I thought it was. Probably a bit of both. Thanks for this.