Sunday 6 November 2022

8 Bit Music Round

You can certainly count the number of Friday night quizzes I’ve ever been to on the fingers of two hands, and probably on just one when you get right down to it. Maybe it’s different in other places, but in my own small part of the world it’s just not a night when pub quizzes tend to happen. It’s hardly surprising when you think of it, after all, Friday night is one time when you don’t need to offer the seductive allure of a quiz to entice people into a pub.

I mention all of this because on Thursday evening just gone, something else was happening in the club. You never know, it may even have been a rugby match. Whatever he case it was necessary to either cancel the quiz, or move it to a different evening. On other occasions we’ve tried moving it to a Monday or Tuesday, with disappointing results. This time however a Friday was mooted.

Question master for Friday was my son in law Dan. Now you may recall that when I’ve posted about Dan’s quizzes in the past I’ve always paid special attention to the music round. Dan reintroduced the music round to the quiz, and I think it’s fair to say that it’s become so popular that it’s expected of him now. For me it will take a lot to top the previous music round where Dan used string quartet arrangement of well known popular tunes. This time Dan opted for something which was I would say pretty much the complete opposite – 8 bit versions of popular tunes.

The funniest part of the whole evening was the reaction when Dan announced he was going to play 10 8 bit versions of pop songs. You have to bear in mind that at the ripe old age of fifty eight and a bit, and some 27 years after I first started attending the quiz in the club I am still one of the young whippersnappers playing. So, many people’s reactions to the phrase ‘8 bit’ reminded me of a famous Not the 9 O’Clock News sketch where a High Court judge, a crusty old fossil from the Pompeii fallout, is perplexed by mentions of digital watches and video cassette recorders. Here’s a link

Not the Nine O'Clock News judge sketch

In case you’re not sure yourself, for our purposes 8 bit refers to early home computers and games consoles from the 80s. Here’s a couple of links to demonstrate the sort of thing.

Bohemian Rhapsody (8 Bit Remix Cover Version) [Tribute to Queen] - 8 Bit Universe - YouTube

Meat Loaf Bat Out Of Hell - 8 Bit - YouTube

All of which leads me to beg the question – what’s he going to think of next. I don’t know, but I’m looking forward to finding out.

2 comments:

Daniel Ayres said...

Very kind of you, Sir. I felt a bit different at the quiz in all honesty, I really felt it didn't go that well overall. But I'm glad you enjoyed the Music Round.

Londinius said...

I've had that feeling myself as question master before now, Dan, but honestly, I didn't feel that there was any problem with how it went on Friday. Maybe you felt like that because it was a Friday, which is a very unusual day to be taking part in a quiz.