Sunday 3 April 2022

One of the best type of questions . . .

It was Adam’s first turn as Question Master last Thursday night.  Adam is a member of my team, Boycs, who’s been coming ever since I returned to the quiz for the first time since the 2nd lockdown back in August. Adam became the third of  regular team members to take a turn as QM. When my daughter Jess does it in a couple of weeks’ time, then all of us will have done it.

Adam’s quiz went down well. He used the connections format. This meant that in each round of 10 questions, three seemingly unconnected questions would have answers that were connected, and identifying that connection would provide the answer to the 4th question. My favourite connection was this one:-

In the USA, Kelvinator are particularly known for which appliance?

In Star Trek (The Next Generation), what is the surname of Beverly and Wesley?

Alison Moyet and Vince Clark formed which duo in the early 1980s?

What is the connection?

Answers

1) Fridge (FRIJJ)

2) Crusher (CRUSHA)

3) Yazoo (YAZOO)

All are brands of Milkshake.

Good stuff. However for me that was not the highlight. My dear friend and quiz mentor, the late Alan Coombs, used to say that the best kind of question is the one where you get it wrong, and say afterwards – I should have had that one -. It was only Adam’s first ever quiz as the question master, but he did it to me.

It was a good old quiz stager – who were the first ever married couple to be shown in bed together  on US TV? – Straightaway, I said – I’ve heard this. It’s a funny one, something like Fred and Wilma Flintstone. Then I spent the next 2 minutes persuading myself out of it. In all honesty I cannot remember which tortuous thought processes led me to reject this answer but reject it I did. The correct answer? Fred and Wilma Flintstone. Respect to Adam for that.

No comments: