Friday 15 April 2022

A Healthy Serving of Egg on the Face

So, last night my daughter Jess took up the reins as quiz master in the rugby club for the first time. I have mentioned this once or twice before, but it does mean that all of the regular members of the team, Jess, Dan, Adam and I have all taken our turn as question master. I am willing to be corrected on this, but I believe that it’s the first time that all the regular members of a team have acted as question master. That’s certainly true since I’ve been coming, and my participation goes back to 1995.

The ironic thing is that we did have another member of the team playing last night as well. Fran sometimes plays for us, but not regularly. Not last night either. No, last night George played. George is the last remaining player from the Boycs team from when I joined in 1995. Over the years a number of our key players passed away and some others just stopped coming. You know as well as I do that the pandemic changed so many things, and to be honest, my quizzing lost weekend period began before lockdown, and I hadn’t come for a while. George has played with us in one quiz since we started to play again in August, but I think he’s finding it hard to find the oomph to come out on a Thursday night.

Coming back to Jess, she did a fine quiz last night, and she too used the connections format that I’ve written about before. And. . . I’m angry with myself for this, and proud of her for it at the same time, she came up with one connection which we just didn’t see. I’ll ask you the questions, and you may see the connection straightaway:-

1) Which 1976 sci fi film starred Michael York and Jenny Agutter?

2) What name was given to the marching step used by the Wermacht in Nazi Germany?

3) What is the original name of the victim in Cluedo?

Answers

1) Logan’s Run

2) Goose Step

3) Doctor Black

Can you see the connection? Probably. Well we couldn’t, and it was a real egg on the face moment when Jess announced that they were all berries. We’d got ourselves fixated on X Men and just couldn’t get away from that track, even though we knew it was wrong.

Well, as my dear late friend Alan Coombs used to say, the best kind of question is the one where you say ‘I should’ve known that!’ when you’re told the answer. So well done Jess! I’m always proud of all five of you, but I was very proud with the way you presented yourself as quiz master.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you 😊

Londinius said...

You're welcome Jess!