In the News
Who or what are the following, and why have they been in the news?
1. HMS Queen Elizabeth
2. Laura Trott
3. International GCSEs
5. Stephanie Kwolek
6. Nick Kyrgios
7. Angelique Kerber
8. Lou Vincent
9. Victoria Derbyshire and Shelagh Fogarty
10. Grigor Dmitrov
11. Steve Frazer
12. Fabien Cousteau
13. Billy Boston
14. Susi Wolff
15. David Knight and Edward Huzzey
16. Llechwedd Slate Caverns, Snowdonia
17. Tony Fernandes
18. Lacey Jonas
In Other News
1. Which area of England was revealed as the UK’s most expensive per square mile outside of London?
2. Which trial resumed on the last day of June?
3. Who were the first company to promise the Living Wage to staff?
4. Who was the unlikely headline success at Glastonbury?
5. Which event of the Muslim calendar began last week?
6. What was the result of the Brazil v. Chile last 16 match?
7. – and Netherlands v. Mexico?
8. – and Colombia v. Uruguay?
9. Who won the men’s 100m at the British championships last week?
10. Of how many counts was Rolf Harris found guilty last week?
11. What was declared by ISIS last week?
12. Which show was cleared of breaching broadcasting rules by OFCOM?
13. Who headed the Forbes Magazine list of the most powerful celebrities?
14. For what are Andy Coulson and Clive Goodman to be retried?
15. Who was ruled to be not mentally ill?
16. Which group announced a final tour?
17. Which British rider was excluded from the Tour de France by his team Garmin?
18. Who called the Pythons ‘wrinkly old men’?
19. Which French politician was arrested for questioning on corruption charges?
20. Which famous, if not infamous, work of art sold for £2.2 million?
21. Which popular children’s animated figure is to make a comeback?
22. How many saves did US goalkeeper Tim Howard make against Belgium?
23. Whose helicopter was hit by rockets – he wasn’t in it.
24. Who wouldn’t answer a Maths question posed by a 7 year old?
25. Which radio programme was rebuked for giving undue prominence to climate change?
26. Which Brazilian footballer was ruled out of taking any further part in the world cup?
27. Which two players will contest the Wimbledon ladies’ singles?
28. What was the final score in the Brazil v. Colombia ¼ final?
29. – and the Germany v. France ¼ final?
30. What was the length of sentence given to Rolf Harris, which was immediately criticized as too lenient?
31. What sentence was given to Andy Coulson for phone hacking?
32. Which company have been ordered to pay back £1 million for miss -selling?
33. Who defeated Grigor Dmitrov in their semi-final in Wimbledon?
Who or what are the following
1. New aircraft carrier which is the Royal Navy’s biggest ever ship
2. New British road race champion
3. Qualifications being cut from League Tables
4. Mayfair restaurant, first Indian restaurant to be Restaurant of the Year
5. Inventor of Kevlar, passed away
6. Australian player who knocked Nadal out of Wimbledon
7. Knocked Sharapova out of Wimbledon
8. New Zealand cricketer banned for life for match fixing
9. Leaving Radio 5live and being replaced by men
10. Defeated Andy Murray in Wimbledon ¼ final
11. Man who two timed two women, who dumped him via a banner on the A1 near the Angel of the North
12. Made a record breaking 31 day stay underwater
13. Plans for a statue of this rugby league great were unveiled in Wigan
14. First woman to take part in a Formula 1 GP weekend as a driver for over 20 years
15. Divers fined for plundering shipwrecks
16. Host to the world’s biggest underground trampoline
17. Sold the formula 1 Caterham team
18. Character in Grand Theft Auto V video game – actress Lyndsey Lohan claims it is based on her likeness and has announced plans to sue makers of the game
19. Ed Sheeran album which topped the US Billboard charts
20. Peak in the Lake District that is up for sale.
In Other News
2. Oscar Pistorius’ murder trial
4. Dolly Parton
6. Brazil won a penalty shoot out
7. Netherlands 2 – Mexico 1
8. Colombia 2 – Uruguay 0
9. Dwayne Chambers
10. 12 – all of them
11. A new caliphate
12. Benefits Street
15. Oscar Pistoruus
16. The Who
17. David Millar
18. Wrinkly old Sir Mick Jagger
19. Nicolas Sarkozy
20. Tracey Emin’s bed
23. Hamid Karzai
24. George Osborne
25. Radio 4 Today programme
27. Petra Kvitova and Eugenie Bouchard
28. 2 – 1 Brazil
29. 1 – 0 Germany
30. 5 years and 9 months
31. 18 months
32. British Gas
33. Novak Djokovic