As dear old Robert Robinson used to say, at the start of the first round of each "Ask The Family". These 40 questions are the first four rounds of a relatively easy quiz I asked in the rugby club a couple of weeks ago. I hope that you enjoy them.
1) Who wrote Rebecca , and Jamaica Inn ?
2) Who was the lead singer of the Seekers ?
3) What was the name of Harry Enfield’s horrible teenage character ?
4) Who became world 500cc motorbike champion in 1976 and 1977 ?
5) Which british Olympic gold medallist was a co founder of the London Marathon ?
6) In the original Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin, what was the name of Reggie’s boss ?
7) What is the connection between your last 6 answers ?
8) In the news – following the England football team’s losing performance against Brazil, which cartoon character was manager Fabio Capello compared to in the news of the World ?
9) Which acid is also known as oil of vitriol ?
10) The city of Venice lies on which sea, which itself forms part of the Mediterranean ?
11) Name the two famous Edinburgh Body Snatchers in the 1820s
12) The 7th President of the USA is usually reckoned to be the first Democrat President. Who was he ?
13) In 1988, who became a Canadian Olympic champion, then within 5 years became a british world champion ?
14) Name the society osteopath who committed suicide when he was being tried as part of the Profumo Scandal
15) What is the connection between your last four answers ?
16) Dr. Brooke Magnanti admitted writing the book Belle du jour in November. The book deals with her secret life as what ?
17) Which alcoholic drink takes its name from the second most populous city in Switzerland ?
18) When did the ten shilling note go out of circulation ?
19) Who or what is a tin Lizzie ?
20) What would a tailor use his plonker for ?
21) Which building in Northumberland has been used for the exterior shots of Hogwarts school in the Harry Potter films ?
22) What is the surname of Emma in the novel by Jane Austen ?
23) Which 20th century Prime Minister introduced the Citizen’s Charter ?
24) Which character , who later returned in his own TV series, was actually shot in the film “The Blue Lamp” ?
25) Which is the largest inhabited castle in Europe ?
26) What is the connection between your last five answers ?
27) During November, which member of the Royal Family offered the opinion that Australia should become a republic ?
28) What makes a pink gin pink ?
29) Which was the first ever credit card ?
30) What would a Scotsman do with his spurtle ?
31) Which character in Last of the Summer Wine was played by Brian Wilde ?
32) From whom did Muhammed Ali, or Cassius Clay as was then, win his first ever world title ?
33) Which name links companions of both Tintin and Dick Barton special agent ?
34) Randy Crawford once had a hit with a song about what type of night in Georgia ?
35) In british police radio communication signals, which code is used to refer to someone who is of white European ethnicity?
36) Which march is played to herald the arrival of the US president at a public appearance ?
37) What is the connection between your last six answers ?
38) A statue of whom has just been installed on the 4th plinth in Trafalgar Square ?
39) What is an Edzell Blue ?
40) Which of these once worked as a pastry chef in a top London Hotel ?
Ho chi Minh – Mao Tse Tung – Cho en Lai – Kim Il Sung