Tuesday 19 December 2023

2023 LAMMY Awards: Best New Quiz Show of 2023

Yes, gentle reader, it’s that time of the year again, when we at LAM Towers (me) hand out the gongs popularly known as the LAMMYs. As is traditional we begin with the ever popular award for the best new quiz show of  the year. Here are the shows that I reviewed this year :-

New shows 2023

Puzzling

007: Road to a Million

Alan Carr’s Picture Slam

The Finish Line

Cheat

In With A Shout

Working from the bottom upwards – April saw the debut of In With A Shout. Now we all know that one of the great pleasures of watching a quiz show is shouting out the answers. So why not get the contestants to the show to do just that? Sorry, but it left me cold.

In the same month Netflix gave us Cheat. I like Ellie Taylor and don’t dislike the scion of royalty, Danny Dyer. But the whole cheating and calling out the cheats dynamic just didn’t work for me and I thought Ellie was under used.

In September the humble picture quiz round proved the inspiration or Alan Carr’s Picture Slam. I’m not a fan of picture rounds, and Alan C’s particular form of hysteria did nothing for me either.

Other streaming services than Netlix are available and one of them, Amazon Prime gave us 007: Road to a Million. This was an unusual hybrid between a challenge based show like, say, Survivor, and a straight quiz. It was not without interest, but I found each edition too long for the amount of content it actually provided.

So all of this leaves us with a shortlist of two, and the awards committee (me) had a real dilemma. One of the two shortlisted shows was a pure quiz, with a gimmick, which was a little easier than I would have liked but was relatively undemanding and enjoyable viewing in the afternoon slot. The other was absorbing, very challenging, had great play at home potential, but was not a pure quiz. The former, the Finish Line is a perfectly good afternoon quiz – better than the Tournament, but not as good as last year’s LAMMY winner Bridge of Lies. My opinion, feel free to disagree. But the 2023 Best New Show goes to (drum roll)

Puzzling

It’s difficult to describe the show without mentioning some similarities to Only Connect. Well, if you’re going to take inspiration from an existing show, it makes sense to take it from a good ‘un. Cogratulatios to Lucy Worsley and all involved.

No comments: