Friday 2 September 2022

"String Quartet was the best I could Come Up With"

In case it means nothing to you the heading is a quotation from John Borman's entertaining autobiographical film "Hope and Glory". The grandfather character, played by the late Ian Bannen, points to his four grown up daughters and asks "What can you do with four daughters? String quartet was the best I could come up with." I'll explain . . . just not yet.

Yes, we did play in the quiz at the club last night, thanks. A couple of talking points. It was Dan who was question master last night, and as you know if you’ve been following the blog, Dan resurrected the music round at the club, and it’s fair to say that he’s made it his own. Each one has been different from the last. In last night’s quiz, we had well known pop songs from the 70s onwards, as played by string quartets. Where the hell he hid the strong quartet playing them yesterday, I don’t know, but it was a great round. So much so that I’ve spent a bit of time this morning searching out songs which weren’t in the quiz last night.

Dan also gave us connections in each round. One of the great and yet frustrating things about connections is that they offer scope for getting the right answer and talking yourself out of it. See what you think. Apologies to Dan – I’m paraphrasing the words of the questions here –

*Which herb is a main ingredient in pesto?”

*Who had hits in the UK with Walk on By – I wanna Be Where You are + one other I can’t remember

*Which football team play home games at Plainmoor?

Now, obviously when the first question was asked we thought Basil – connection Fawlty Towers. We knew Dionne Warwick sang the original Walk on BY but had never heard of the other two. Plainmoor really stumped me. The trouble is that I had Turf Moor stuck in my head. I knew that I learned all the football grounds as they were about 30 years ago, but it wouldn’t come. We were wondering what Basil could be if it wasn’t Fawlty Towers. Something percolated through my mind, as I said that I had a feeling it was in the West Country. Exeter City – suggested Jen – then I wasted a few minutes explaining that they played at St. James’ Park, not the same one as Newcastle  Utd. Then it hit me – Torquay are Plainmoor. Then it hit me. Fawlty Towers! Honestly, all that mental energy for something so simple. By then it was too late to do anything with the pop music one. There’s no guarantee we would have plucked the right answer out of thin air anyway.

Coming back to the music round – if you remember the 80s I’d advise you to exercise caution before seeking out string quartet versions of your favourite 80s tunes. You’ll probably find them if you do, but it’s addictive. If you think you’re up to it then here’s a link to one I found – a string quartet of the Stranglers’ Golden Brown – I miss the original harpsichord, but I think it’s a rather beautiful version of it.

Zephy Quartet - Golden Brown

Just one more? Oh, go on then. 

Stringspace Quartet - Never Gonna Give You Up

2 comments:

Daniel Ayres said...

You are too kind.

Londinius said...

Speak as you find, Dan, speak as you find.