Friday 17 December 2021

The Weakest Link Revival

It was recently suggested, after my post about “The Code”, that I should do a series on fondly remembered quiz shows that should be brought back. Being perverse, I’ve ended up writing this post about a quiz show which is being brought back, asking the question whether it should be or not.

I write, as I am sure you’ve figured out, about The Weakest Link, which is due to return to our screens on December 18th, hosted by Romesh Ranganathan. Now, as I haven’t seen any of the revival yet, nor have I heard any gossip about it, I can’t comment on the quality of the reboot. I can’t help wondering how well the show will work in the 2020’s, though.

I’ll try to explain what I mean. In fact, mean is the operative word. All of this is just my opinion, and of course you must feel free to disagree, but it always seemed to me that “The Weakest Link” rode in on the zeitgeist of the new Milennium, in which not only was it okay to be mean, rude and personal to anyone who dared to put their head over the TV parapet, it was highly desirable. And you have to admit that “The Weakest Link” rode that zeitgeist very well throughout the noughties, with only the format of “WWTBAM” selling to more countries. I’m not sure whether the ratings were slipping at all when Anne Robinson came to call it a day in 2012, but the production team certainly said that they were going out while the show was still popular, because they didn’t think anyone could fill Anne Robinson’s shoes.

In case you are too young to remember the show, or have forgotten how it worked, these were the mechanics of the game. Each show started with 9 contestants. In the first round, questions are asked to each contestant in turn until three minutes have elapsed. Subsequent rounds are each ten seconds shorter than the previous. For each correct answer they add a link to a money chain. Before they answer, if there are any links in the chain they can choose to bank what has been earned in the chain so far, and the chain starts to build again. If they answer incorrectly, then the links are lost, so is the money and the chain begins again. If the chain is completed before the time has run out, then the round stops and the money is banked. Then the real fun starts.

After each round, the contestants have to write down the name of the player they want to eliminate, who is then dubbed the weakest link. After Anne Robinson has scattergunned disdain in all directions, then the weakest link is told to leave with nothing. Play proceeds like this until just two contestants remain. The final head to head is a straight shoot out, with the winner being decided by the best of five questions.

That’s it basically. Well, that’s the game play, but that ignores the part played by Anne Robinson. Like her or loathe her, I think you’d have to admit that Anne Robinson understood exactly what her role in the show was, and played it to perfection. It didn’t really matter whether a contestant had done particularly badly, sooner or later they were going to be the subject of a comment along the lines of “You have 4 A levels, Roberta. Are they giving them away with cornflakes packets now, then?” and “Are you old enough to remember when your hairstyle was in fashion?”, and man, many, many others of the “Do you have a braincell?” variety. I will not lie. Some of them I laughed at. In later years I did find some of them a bit strained, and sometimes Anne was obviously reading off the autocue. By the time that the show had been going for a year or two I’d say that contestants had no excuse for not knowing what they were letting themselves in for by applying, but the poor sods who applied for the first series must have left the studies feeling shell shocked, and maybe in some case needing counselling.

The show was mean-spirited, and it knew that it was mean-spirited and it was proud of being mean-spirited. You didn’t watch the show if you wanted to feel good about your fellow citizens. No. You watched the show to see ordinary people giving often silly answers to very easy questions, and then being verbally torn apart for the privilege. In many ways this made it a perfect show for the noughties. As an aside, I was sounded out on whether I’d be prepared to appear on a quiz champions’ special in the last week of the show. Of course I was – sadly they went with much greater luminaries than myself.

Will a perfect show for the noughties, the decade of mean, really cut the mustard in the 2020’s? In all honesty, I don’t know. The producers have made the probably wise decision not to replace like with like for the presenter. I have no idea whether they asked Anne Robinson – if they did I think she was right to refuse. She’s recently taken over hosting duties on “Countdown” mind you, and I have to say that this seems a bit of an odd fit to me. Her delivery is not quite what it was, and she seems rather stiff and uncomfortable to me. Still, I digress. I think we can expect a different style from Romesh Ranganathan. I think he’ll still have some pointed comments to make, but maybe with a little more warmth – to be honest it would be hard to do it with less warmth than Anne Robinson. They’ll all have to be careful though. Meanness seems to be out of fashion. Launching it with celebrity editions seems like a gentle easing back, but one can’t help thinking that a defanged Weakest Link might hardly be a Weakest Link at all.

Whatever the case, I’ll certainly be watching at least one of the revived series. Whether I will watch more than one – well, we’ll see. Watch this space.

4 comments:

George Millman said...

Ah, Weakest Link. You couldn't have picked one with more of an emotional connection! It was the first quiz show I ever watched, I begged my parents to be allowed to watch it as a child (they were sceptical as they thought I'd grow up to treat people like Anne Robinson did, but they caved). Then the female curate of our local church was on a special edition for women who did traditionally 'male jobs' and won that, and I interviewed her for my school magazine. Always wanted to go on it, always said if it was still going when I was old enough I would... and as luck would have it, they stopped filming it a mere month before my eighteenth birthday. So if this celebrity edition becomes a civilian edition, you can pretty much guarantee they'll be receiving my application!

I've been thinking a lot recently about what is and isn't appropriate behaviour on TV. I found Anne Robinson really funny at the time, but on reflection I'm not sure that all of her behaviour was that appropriate. It's all very well to say 'They'd never get away with it nowadays' - but I think there's a valid question about whether they should have got away with it at the time. I remember last year when there was all the talk about Little Britain, a lot of it seemed to be based around the fact that such things offend people now and they didn't then... but I think it offended people then, it's just that now they have more ability to protest about it. Same with Jeremy Kyle That was taken off air because someone committed suicide, but to be honest it was very obvious before that point how much the show harmed its participants, and it shouldn't have reached that stage. I think we very much overstate how relevant time periods are - I would really hope that an empathetic person will in most cases recognise when their brand of entertainment is funny, and when it hurts someone. Otherwise you could just as easily argue that freak shows like The Elephant Man were acceptable in their day. (Part 1)

George Millman said...

(Part 2)

Having said that, I think it's fine for a show like Weakest Link to be mean-spirited. The crux is in the source of the humour. Originally, the humiliation of the contestants was fair game because it was usually all in relation to questions they'd got wrong, particularly if it was connected to what they do for a living. Saying 'You're a bank clerk, so why did you get a very easy maths question wrong?' is a relevant point, and it's balanced out by the fact that they won't be humiliated if they can keep their head and do well. In 2000 when the show started, I think the logic was, 'We have all these cheesy presenters who tell people they've done well when they haven't - why not have a show where the host actually says what the viewers are thinking?' But, as Anne built a reputation, it started going too far. I don't think it's fair game to make fun of people's clothes and glasses, speculate about their sexual orientations or call an older woman 'Walnut Face'... that's just bullying, even if the participants have signed up for it, and has nothing at all to do with the quiz. And as time passed, it got even beyond the bullying stage to... something that I'm not sure what they were going for. You'd see Anne smiling, laughing along as she encouraged the contestants to sing... why was she doing that? The point of her persona was meant to be a frosty person who never smiles and only gives praise when you've jolly well earned it, and this was very far removed from that.

I also would say that I genuinely love the format. It's a great idea to have contestants forced to work as a team but knowing that in reality only one of them can actually get the money they're raising, and the conflict of interest that creates. Possibly one potential flaw is that the game is unwinnable, in the sense that in the twelve years it was on no one ever won the £10,000 top prize, or anything remotely close to it (I don't think it's ever happened in an international version either). But then on the other hand, I guess that also means the prize is very fluid and there isn't really a maximum.

I'm curious to see how it fares when it comes back, and if it will still be Romesh if they make a civilian version (it may not be - the Fifteen to One revival was initially the celebrity edition with Adam Hills, who was offered the civilian job but turned it down, so it was eventually given to Sandi Toksvig). My choice of host would be Anne Hegerty, if they could poach her from ITV - not only do I think that she has the gravitas to bring both the toughness but also a slightly more encouraging side to contestants who do well, but also I think the show would work best if it has a host who most likely would have known all the answers themselves. When Anne Robinson showed up contestants for getting questions wrong, you always thought, 'Yes, but she probably wouldn't have known it if it wasn't there in front of her.'

Sorry for the essay! (Blogger wouldn't even let me post my full comment in one go... I'm too wordy, that's my trouble).

George Millman said...

Third comment in a row, because I'd forgotten something...

I presume, given that you haven't mentioned it, that you don't know that the US version of Weakest Link has already been revived? It's hosted by Jane Lynch.

I've watched a few of them and quite like it. Jane's a good host - she's undoubtedly as tough as Anne, but knows where to tread and always stays clear of getting too personal with the insults. It has one slightly interesting change in the format - in this technological age the contestants submit their votes by computer rather than writing them on boards, and although they cast them straight after the round is over, the results aren't revealed to the contestants and viewers until AFTER Jane has torn a strip off everyone. I quite like this, it adds a new dynamic to the game when the contestants aren't sure at the time they're being grilled whether or not they're going home.

Here's a link to the first revived episode:

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7wkjtp

Londinius said...

Hi George,
I decided it would probably be best to wait until after watching the new show. I think that you're right that the meanness was less personal in the early few series, but for far too long it was quite personal.

As for the revival, well maybe I was just in a good mood because the school holidays have started, but I enjoyed this one as much if not more than I've ever enjoyed an episode of The Weakest Link before. This was probably because, as it was a celebrity edition, nobody was taking it too seriously, everyone looked pretty relaxed in front of the camera, and although there were a few silly answers, on the hall the celebs did very well. With Anne Robinson you I often thought she was not the least bit interested in what the contestants said back to her - in fact a friend of mine who once appeared swore blind he had a killer reply to her on his show edited out. No idea if that's true or not. But Romesh handles this sort of thing very well. Whether or not he'll be able to get any kind of interesting banter going with ordinary members of the public, well, that's the question.
I'm not saying that "The Weakest Link" is not a good format - it's longevity in its original incarnation proves this. But watching last night, I did feel that it was a little repetitive. Round - vote - banter - round - vote - banter etc, But then I'm a purist. To be honest, once we'd got past the 3 - 0 minute mark it was starting to outstay its welcome.
My gut feeling is that if they keep it as just celebrities, well and good, but if they try it at this time on a Saturday with ordinary members of the public, then it might not hit the spot in the same way that the short lived prime time big money version didn't.