Tuesday 14 December 2021

Catching up with "The Code"

Last month I reviewed the new daytime quiz show “The Tournament”. In the comments, George Millman was kind enough to fill me in on “The Code”, a show which I managed to completely miss during my quizzing ‘lost weekend’ period. Having finally watched an episode on Youtube, I feel that I understand why George enjoyed it so much.

I did wonder if there was going to be any similarity to Omid Djalili’s ‘Winning Combination’. Thankfully not. It’s a much simpler game, and it's all the better for it. What it boils down to is this. One team, or single contender, plays at a time. They have to guess from the digits 0 – 9, to see which 3 make up the combination to unlock a safe. In order to do this they face a choice between three questions with answers, only one of which is correct. So, for example, they might be faced with

·       Which word in Bohemian Rhapsody is the name of an Italian clown character ? – answer given – Fandango

·       Who was the arch enemy of Flash Gordon? – answer given – Fu Manchu

·       Which is the German name for the city of Aix La Chapelle? – answer given – Aachen

So the player/team have to identify that the third question is the only one with a correct answer given. They get this wrong and it's so long and thanks for the memories. Get it right and they choose a digit, which will either be eliminated, or enter the combination. Now, when they have identified their first correct digit, the game play changes. For now the player/team gets to see all three answers, but can only pick two of the questions. This makes it trickier, but crucially, not impossible. If you know that you’ve picked out two wrong answers, then it is obvious that what remains must be correct. This continues until either the player/team picks a wrong’un and gets eliminated, or picks another correct digit.

So, once two digits from the combination have been identified, the game becomes more difficult again. This time, the team/player gets shown just the three answers, and can only elect to see one of the questions at first. The player/team then has to decide whether it is correct, or whether the answer is not the right answer to the question. Only then can the player/team choose one of the other questions to see. He/they must decide if it’s right or wrong. Again, the player/team keeps on laying until either they choose a wrong answer, or they complete the combination, in which case they walk away with the contents of the safe. Another player/team takes the stage, and we begin again. As I watched I was worried that when we got to the final digit the gameplay would degenerate into a guessing game. But it didn't - if you were good enough, you would never have to guess. 

George particularly liked the non-adversarial atmosphere and I know where he was coming from. At no stage do you think that host Matt Allwright is being insincere in his support for each player. Likewise, expert Lesley-Anne Brewis, of the QuizQuizQuiz organisation fulfilled a role similar to that of the great Richard Osman on Pointless, and manages to explain a lot of the answers without grating on the nerves in the least, which is a considerable skill. What I most like about this show is that I think you’d need an incredible slice of luck to be able to win if you weren’t at least a good quizzer. You have to actually know things to have a chance of winning. I like that. I think it would have been accessible to the non-quizzing viewer, while offering something to quizzers of a wide range of abilities, like both Pointless and Impossible.

Yet it came and went after just two series of 25 episodes. Which I suppose is one more series than a lot of new shows get, but it’s a bit of a shame that it just didn’t last longer. I often come back to William Goldman’s observation from “Adventures in the Screen Trade”, but that’s because it’s so true – nobody knows anything. Sometimes an inferior show catches on, while a superior one dies the death. If I had to suggest a reason, all I can really say is this. I do think it’s quite a bit harder for a non-adversarial show to catch on than one which involves contestants battling it out against each other. The real behemoth of the genre - Who Wants To Be A Millionaire had mouth wateringly huge sums of cash , and the life changing amounts of cash that a contestant could throw away with a careless answer ( which is what I did) generated their own drama. And even then, each contestant had to beat the others in a fastest finger round. When I watched “The Code” I was just put a little in mind of the Kaye Adams version of The People Versus – (which I like to think of as David Briggs’ Difficult Second Album – even though it probably wasn’t the second show he invented after Millionaire – he certainly also created the successful National Lottery Winning Lines amongst others). So maybe audiences thought that The Code lacked a little drama. Who knows? All I can say is that what I saw on Youtube, I rather enjoyed.

5 comments:

George Millman said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
George Millman said...

I'm extremely touched that my recommendation inspired a whole blog post! Thank you! And incidentally, the Kaye Adams era of The People Versus is another of my favourite quizzes... maybe I just like things that are different from what general quiz viewers like?

Actually, if you've only seen the episode I linked you (which is from the second series), you'll be unaware of a rule change between the first and second series that made the second round quite considerably harder. In Series 1, the second stage only allowed you to see two questions AT A TIME - i.e. after seeing two, you had to discount one as being incorrect before you were allowed to see the last one. In Series 2, this was changed to having to choose a final answer after seeing two questions, without ever seeing the third in advance. (I'm not good enough at maths to work this out, but someone online makes a case for the original format having almost no difference in difficulty level between the first and second stage.)

They were very clearly inspired by Pointless for the interaction between the hosts, weren't they? Xander and Richard mess around a little too much for me to get into it though... Matt and Lesley I thought had just the right dynamic. Also, the major difference is that it's a standing joke on Pointless that Richard Osman writes the questions (though he's said himself that this isn't true). Whereas Lesley Brewis actually did - or at least, runs the company that provided them. I assume that's how she was found... the production team was dealing with her when commissioning QuizQuizQuiz to provide the questions, and realised she'd work as the co-host. From what I've seen, she doesn't seem to have done any more television work since The Code, which is a shame - I thought she fitted the presenting role very naturally.

Incidentally, Matt Allwright's other quiz show, The Exit List, is possibly my all-time least favourite! How ironic...

(Apologies for the deleted comment - typo)

Londinius said...

Hi George - I'm afraid that The Exit List is another show I never watched. I looked at the trailer on the UK Gameshows entry for the show, and my guess is that I might have seen it being promoted on the telly at the time and decided that it wasn't for me.

With regards to my own favourites, you don't have to be a genius to work out that I love both Mastermind and UC - be a bit silly reviewing them each week if I didn't. I like Pointless a lot, partly for the great Osman, and partly because it's a show that, while being popular, still manages to reward actual knowledge. I like House of Games a lot too, although some of the 'celebrities' can be bloody annoying. If I never have to watch Anneka Rice again for example, it will be too soon.

Thanks for taking the time and trouble to comment.

George Millman said...

I certainly approve of your decision that The Exit List wasn't for you! The basic concept was that contestants came in, answered questions and won money for each correct answer. After each question, they could either take what they'd won or continue to earn more money. However, when they eventually decided to quit the game, they wouldn't get the money unless they could recite, in order, without a single slip-up, the answers to every question they'd answered since the beginning, so obviously the longer you stayed the harder that would become. So it was based on a stupid gimmick anyway, and then beyond that there were ever more complicated rules that were almost impossible to keep track of as a viewer. It was just a horrible stressful show, that required far more mental energy to follow than it was worth. I've never come across two shows hosted by the same person that I've had such wildly differing opinions on as The Exit List and The Code!

I used to watch Pointless, but haven't done in a good few years. I do like the questions on it, but Xander and Richard I feel are perhaps a bit overused now. Particularly Richard - I have nothing particularly against him, but he's turning up everywhere these days, basically they're trying to make him a younger Stephen Fry (who I also have nothing particularly against, but I feel is wildly overused).

I'm liking this format of reviewing shows that aren't on anymore, by the way - you should do more of these, speculate on whether it was right to axe them and whether they could ever be brought back in the future.

Londinius said...

Interesting idea, George. Watch this space.