Saturday 31 August 2024

Thursday Night at the Club - Curmudgeon Alert!

How easy is it to distinguish between a question that’s too easy and a question that’s too hard/boring for a pub quiz? I ask because I’ve been feeling distinctly ungenerous towards the setter of Thursday’s quiz in the club. I like the setter a lot, as it happens (but as a person, not as a question master). Sorry, that’s mean. But then, if I write down some of the mean things which occur to me to say about a quiz, then I reckon I’m slightly less likely to actually say them. Slightly.

Now, it’s fair to say that Thursday night’s QM would probably not be my favourite QM even if her quizzes were better. She has an unfortunate tendency to shout into the microphone which is not pleasant on the ear at all. Don’t take my word for it. Dan made a point of mentioning this almost as soon as I’d got in the car yesterday. And don’t get me wrong, using a microphone does take a bit of getting used to. Your brain is telling you that you need to speak very loudly to be heard by everyone, yet it's one of the worst things you can do with a microphone. (Worse things probably necessitate surgery, but let’s not go on about that.)

But then, her quizzes aren’t better. Last year she gave us a quiz where a large number of the question concerned events in 2016. On Thursday for me there was an issue in the level of the questions. Some of them were of the ‘Lisbon is the capital of which country?’ variety. Nobody ever complains that a whole quiz is too easy, but I’m sorry, some questions are so easy they are not worth asking. While others were of the ‘How many miles is it from London to Stonehenge?’ variety. Questions which require you to guess and give you no satisfaction. There were a lot of these what I would call random number questions. Now there’s an adage which my olders and betters used to say when I was starting quizzing more than 3 and a half decades ago, namely that weak quizzers make weak quizzes, because they don’t know what makes a good question. Certainly the QM on Thursday is in a team that usually come last by some distance. So is it just that? Probably has something to do with it.

It’s not necessarily quite that simple, though. Dan made the point that when he, Jess or Adam acts as QM they find it difficult getting the level of TV, film, Music questions right because everyone else in the quiz is so much older, and not tuned in to more modern questions. My answer is though – yes, but you’re aware of this. You care about this. You make every effort to put the best questions that you can in your quiz. Thursday’s setter? Much as I like her, nah, I don’t believe that she does.

Dan also made a fair point that the wording of the questions was not always precise enough. For example – “What is Shakira?” Yeah, you probably immediately gave the correct answer – singer – but it annoys me because you could put down a number of different things, all correct and yet not be given the point.

Okay, in for a penny, in for a pound. In about round 7 we had five of the ten questions which had all been asked in the previous week’s quiz. The QM had not been present last week. What must have happened is that both of the last two QMs must have used the same website for these questions, and both must have just copied them down as they come in the order that they come. Now, I can’t blame Thursday’s QM for the coincidence since she missed the previous week. However, just shoving own any old questions from a website does not a good quiz make.

Well, there you go. Principles can be a dangerous thing. I’ve always said that a) anybody who volunteers to compile a quiz and be QM should be allowed, and b) if someone is public spirited enough to compile a quiz for the club you should never boycott them (apart from the one who publicly attacked me over the mic that once) and try to attend and support them, however much you may dislike their quiz. But in all honesty, I hope we won’t have to sit through another quiz like that for a while.

No comments: