Sunday 26 November 2023

The Ghost of Christmas Quiz Past

Are you one of those people who enjoy a good moan that Christmas decorations seem to be going up in the streets earlier and earlier each year? What? Me? . . . Might be. Well, it’s maybe a sign of old age and increasing grumpy old gittiness that makes me wonder whether the Christmas themed questions start going up in pub quizzes each year?

Probably not, although I did note that I wrote on the same subject in the blog some fourteen years ago! That was about attending a specially themed Christmas quiz in the last week in November – the very same week we are about to embark upon now. My memories of that quiz are a wee bit hazy, and mostly centre on the fact that our captain was a friend we nicknamed Alan the Bookie. It’s not much of a nickname bearing in mind that a) his name was Alan, and b) he was a bookie. Nobody calls me Dave the teacher, well not that I know of anyway. Other less complimentary nicknames, yes, but I digress. Being blunt, if not downright rude, Alan was not much of a quizzer. However he liked other people to think he was. Which is why, when a charity quiz like the one in question came along, he’d pad out his team with ringers like me and my mate John. Which is fine. There have been times when I have been made distinctly uncomfortable by being made a ringer guest player in a cup semi-final, which I had been told was a normal league match, but for the most part I’ve derived a little bit of pleasure from it. It’s not big and it’s not clever, but I have.

Well, as I said, Alan the Bookie liked other people to think he was a champion quizzer. So as the quiz progressed, every time I came up with an answer he’d respond ‘yeah, I know that’. Which stared to get on my wick. So after half time, when the QM asked a question A the B clearly didn’t know the answer to I’d say “You know that one don’t you?” To which he’d say ‘ Yes . . . but what was it again?” or some such.

Well, there we are. Christmas is a time of peace on Earth and goodwill to all, but I a Christmas quiz sometimes not so much. Coming back to the question I began with, I suppose I should confess that I haven’t noticed any Christmas questions creeping into the quiz at the cub. Yet. There won’t be any Christmas questions on Thursday for the entirely logical reason that there won’t be any quiz at all on Thursday. Apparently the rugby club want to stage a rugby match – whoever heard of such a thing? Thin end of the wedge if you ask me.

No comments: