Friday 17 November 2023

Prize Surprise

You know what I’m talking about. That moment when you get given something really nice and thoughtful which you have absolutely no use for? I’ll explain what that has to do with the quiz in the Gwyn Hall in Neath on Wednesday.

Once a month the Hall runs a themed film quiz. Me? Absolutely useless, out with the washing most weeks, but the rest of our team are so good that out of 10 quizzes so far this year (no quiz in August) we’ve outright won 7, been joint winners in 2 and second place in the other. Now the usual prize is a free cinema ticket for each member of the winning team. And I really like that – I’ve seen some great films with it, some good and some just ok. Well, in this Wednesday’s quiz it was announced that there was an extra prize for the winners. It was (drum roll please) two weeks’ free gym membership!

I’m sorry, but a couple of horrible PE teachers at school when I was a kid put me off this sort of thing for life. If I ever feel the need to exercise, then a good, stiff hour’s walk usually does the trick. But, it was certainly a kind thought, and so while other team members have made plans aout how they’re going to take advantage, I just sat and smiled politely.

You know, it’s been a while since I won a prize that I have absolutely no use for. Back in the mists of time, I gave up alcohol. Not because my father was an alcoholic – although I can attest to the fact that growing up with an alcoholic is enough to put you off the stuff for life. Not just because if I had more than two pints on an evening then I would be tired, sluggish and grumpy the next day in school. No, the main reason is, that not that long after my 35th birthday, it suddenly occurred to me that when you get right down to it, I don’t really like the stuff very much. To my little kid’s palate, all wine tastes like vinegar, and beer not much better. Sorry. So for many years I was going out on a Sunday, often winning a bottle of wine I had absolutely no use for.

In the quiz my son Mike goes to in Bridgend, the main prize tends to be a box of sweeties, Celebrations or the like. Now this is much more palatable to my little kid taste buds – but I’m diabetic, so that’s no good! Come to think of it, this has been much the same over the years at work. I’ve asked various heads of department not to bother getting me a Christmas present, because I don’t drink alcohol and I can’t eat sweet stuff.

On the other side of the coin, in terms of unexpected prizes that I liked, I think that top of the list might well be a very fine snooker cue I won in a sports quiz once. Alright, I don’t play snooker at all now, and didn’t play it much then, but there you go.

No comments: