Thursday 2 June 2022

Jubilee and Afternoon Tea

 The story so far. Last August I returned to active quizzing after meeting one of the regulars in the quiz in the Rugby Club. For the rest of 2021 this just meant attending the one quiz in the rugby club on a Thursday night. I began writing in the blog again, and reviewing UC and Mastermind. I'd missed the first few first round heats in UC, but I reviewed all of the rest of the series, and I reviewed the whole series of Mastermind.

Then, a fortnight ago, I ended up playing in three quizzes on three consecutive nights. Alright, none of them was more than 20 minutes away from the house, but even so, it was quite a milestone for me. 

So, now today, I have the prospect of playing in two quizzes on the same day. Both are in the rugby club. The first is a special bank holiday platinum jubilee quiz, in aid of charity. For £10 we gate the quiz, and afternoon tea, Good enough. Then this evening, it's the weekly quiz. Thereby hangs a tale. In my last post I explained that last week's quiz saw my son in law Dan take his second turn at being question master. Very good it was too, and everyone enjoyed it. Well, I say everyone. There was a minor incident. You see Dan used the connection that all of the answers in the last round were linked to Roald Dahl novels in one way or another. The thing is, his wife, my youngest daughter Jess, is taking her second turn at being question master today. She'd already compiled her quiz by last Thursday. Now, Jess and Dan do not tell each other what is going in their quizzes - it stands to reason otherwise they wouldn't be able to play in each other's quizzes, would they? So, it turned out that Jess has also used connections in her quiz. One of which . . . is Roald Dahl. 

Pure coincidence, and just one of those things. Still, it has meant that she has had to come up with another connection since. 

This is the kind of coincidence that is actually more common than you might think. I don't often use in the news questions when I'm compiling for the club any more, but the time was when it was practically de riguer to include an in the news question in each round. Brian and I both did it, and it was quite common to find that he'd used 3 or  of the questions I was planning to use in the week after, or vice versa. It wasn't just in the news questions either. I mean, if you think about it, if something strikes you as a good question, then chances are someone else will have the same opinion. 


No comments: