Sunday 22 July 2012

Best Sunday of the Year

You know I'd like to say that I've really been taking advantage of the suddenly seasonal weather today, but other than a visit to a couple of car boot sales this morning I really haven't. Still, that was pleasant enough, even if it yielded little - well , not for me anyway. Mrs. Londinius has a very good eye, and she often sees stuff to resell on eBay, so I've no doubt that she'll at least make back the cost of the petrol we used.

Maybe you're asking yourself what exactly it is that makes this at least one of the best Sundays of the year, if not the very best. It's simply because it's the first weekend of the summer holidays from school, and so the first of several successvie Sundays where I can go to the quiz with a clear conscience, and not have to worry about coming down, and calming down when I get back so as to be able to get my head down by about 11:30 and have a decent chance of getting to sleep fairly quickly.

Talking about the Sunday quiz in the Dyffryn Arms there was a bit of a turn up there this week. We don't always win there, John and I, but it's fair to say we have won the majority of quizzes we've played in. Rob was there, though, with a full team, and that to my mind did make us underdogs. So it proved, and they beat us by 2 points in the end. I dropped a couple of points I should have had, but then they are in the position to say exactly the same thing. The surprise , though, was that we were also beaten by a point by Keith and the guys who play up at the bar. I have to say that this was by far the best performance I can remember seeing them put in since I've been going - very well played for that guys - well done ! Not that I like coming in third , you understand, but you have to take your hat off to a good performance - or two good performances in this case.

If you're wondering what I've been doing for the rest of the day, well quite a lot of it was spent stockpiling quiz questions for the lean winter months ahead. I've done 3 of the last 5 or so quizzes at the club, and so my unused question stock has been dwindling recently. Therefore it kind of makes sense to make hay while the sun shines, or , to put it another way, to make hay while at least it's not peeing down .

I'm thinking about having a look at another midweek quiz again this week, and I'll let you know how it goes if I do indulge.

No comments: