Saturday 14 January 2023

Bridge of Lies Celebrity Version

I’ve just watched the first Celebrity edition of Bridge of Lies. Or at least, the first this year. I don’t think that they did a celebrity version at all last year, but hey, what do I know? In one way I’m glad. It shows that the BBC think they’ve got an appealing show on their hands and they think it's good enough to have a celebrity version. Bridge of Lies won the LAMMY for the best new quiz show of 2022, and its a show I think highly of.

Just one observation about the celebrity version. I did think that having the same money for correct answers as on the normal show is rather stingy. After all, having prize money which totals a few thousand is pretty good for a daytime quiz show, but seems rather stingy for a Saturday Evening show. Tonight, having bought one of the team back to play in the final, the team of soap opera actors won just over a couple of thousand. That has to be split between their four charities. I mean, to compare it with Pointless Celebrities, I think all of the celebrities get that for their charities anyway, which makes four grand paid out even if the winning couple don’t get the jackpot.

Still, that having been said I did enjoy the show. I particularly enjoyed the instruments you can blow in round – where the sackbut and the shawm were two of the correct options that could be chosen. Trombone and oboe I think were the modern instruments which developed from them respectively. Looking forward to seeing the regular series back in the weeks to come.

No comments: