Saturday 1 October 2022

You Know You're Past It When . . .

How’s your weekend going? Me? Oh, not bad, not bad. In fact, that’s what I wanted to talk to you about really. You see, I’ve spent quite a bit of tie, yesterday evening and today, putting together the quiz for Thursday night. As you might recall, time was when you couldn’t stop me from wanting to be question master – I enjoyed it every bit as much as actually playing in a quiz and would have done it every week if I could. Well, times change. That was all 27 years ago, and since then there was my quizzing lost weekend which only ended a year ago. I haven’t got the urge to do it anymore.

None of which is to say that I won’t do it anymore. If I’m asked, unless I have a good reason why not to do it, then I’ll do it – just please don’t ask me too often. But it’s not something I’ll volunteer to do. And that’s not just because I haven’t got the desire to do it anymore. Some of it has to do with the fact that, in the nicest way possible, I have to say that I think I’m getting a bit past it.

Putting the quiz together I’ve tried to do the best I can, but there’s been a number of questions where I’ve thought – blimey, I was asking this sort of thing a quarter of a century ago. Time was that I had my ears to the ground, and a constant eye out for something that might make a fresh, more interesting question. I’m not finding that easy at all now. If we take the fields of entertainment and popular culture for instance, I’m just not that interested in keeping up with it all. Case in point – UC often features questions on video games nowadays, and this area is a complete blank to me. Now, I’ve always had weak areas, but I’ve had an idea of where to find information about these areas, and how to formulate questions about them. But, whisper it quietly, I find I just can’t be arsed.

Which is not quite such a problem with the quiz for the rugby club since it’s probably true that you could say the same about the majority of players in the club. Even at the ripe old age of 58 I’m still one of the younger players at the club. Still, I don’t intentionally do a bad job, and I find myself hoping that it will all go down alright this Thursday. Then hopefully that might be me done for 2022, and not taking my next stint until the New Year quiz.

2 comments:

Daniel Ayres said...

Looking forward to this week's quiz! Hopefully the team will do okay with you at the QM's table.

Londinius said...

Tanks Dan. I am sure you'll do fine! Although you are at a disadvantage in this quiz of being the youngest tea, by some distance. Sorry.