Thursday 28 October 2021

Themed Quiz

If it hadn’t been the half term break, then I doubt that I would have gone to the quiz in Neath’s Gwyn Hall last night. Every month there’s a film based quiz on a Wednesday evening. You might recall that I posted about the last one, which was all abut the official James Bond films. Last night – well, bearing in mind the time of year, see if you can guess which genre it was about. Yes, being the last Wednesday in October, and close to Halloween, it was Horror films.

Now, you must, by all means, feel free to dismiss this next observation as proof of my self-centred arrogance, but I’m going to say it anyway. Fact is, in my 33 year long quiz career I’ve rarely experienced being a passenger in a quiz team. Well, I was last night, and going into the quiz I was pretty sure that this was going to be the case. I don’t watch that many films any more, and this really isn’t my favourite genre anyway. Yes, if the questions had covered horror from the birth of cinema, through the Universal era of the 30s, and the B movie shockers of the 50s, then maybe I would have had a few more than the 4 or 5 I managed to answer. But then again, maybe not.

It's a long time since I last played in a proper Halloween themed quiz. As I’m pretty sure that I’ve mentioned more than once in the past, I don’t often enjoy a themed quiz as much as a general quiz. After all, to get enough good questions on just the one subject is, I would imagine, a lot harder than getting enough good questions for a general quiz. Which means that more often than not, a themed quiz can end up rather flawed. Even if the questions are brilliant, I can still find myself becoming bored with it. I can’t remember which one of my friends said, “There’s a limit to the number of questions you should ever ask about bats in one evening.” after the first themed Halloween quiz I played in, but the truth of this has stayed with me ever since.

For all that, though, I have to say that there was one genuinely excellent question asked last night. I’ve been out of circulation for a long time, so for all I know this is a chestnut that has done the rounds in the last few years, but it’s the first time that I’ve heard it: -

In which year was Jaws 19 due to be released?

I will post the answer in the comments with this post.

1 comment:

Londinius said...

Here's the answer. In the film "Back to the Future 2" the fil showing at the cinema is Jaws 19 - complete with holographic shark springing on unwary passers by in the street. The film is set in 2015. So the answer is 2015.