Thursday 31 July 2008

The End of The Marathon

I'll let you into a secret. I've had an ambition for some time now to go to a quiz every night of the week. OK, I admit as ambitions go its not that earth shattering - its not climbing Everest, or reaching the South Pole, but its probably a bit more realistic. Its not as easy as it sounds either. For one thing there's the time elemtn. Its just not something I could do in a school week. There's finding the quizzes, too. Here we're quite well served for Sunday to Thursday, but finding quizzes on Friday or Saturday is something of a challenge.

I'm off to London tomorrow for a family do on Saturday, so that't why I've limited my ambitions to quizzing just from Sunday to Thursday. Tuesday's quiz was a step into the unknown. John, Phillippa ( my daughter ) and I went to the Duke of Wellington in Cowbridge. . . and were very pleasantly surprised. The quiz was really well attended, and the questions and prizes were good. We won £20 for first place, while runners up got £15 and third place £10. The only real quibble I had with it was the fatc that there were only 2 rounds of 20 questions each . Another 5 questions in each round woul have been a little better. Still, a good quiz, and I'd give it 3 question marks in my good quiz guide - if such a thing ever existed.

A quiz which would earn no question marks in the same guide was the one I went to last night. I've been to the Wednesday quiz in the Red Dragon in Litchard before, and to be honest this is a little bit of a hit and miss affair. Question masters take it in turns, and the one last night was very poor. Questions were almost all taken from events of this last month, or number guessing questions - good general knowledge was of absolutely no use at all. No, I didn't win, before you ask.

So, here we are, Thursday, and the end of the Marathon. Tonight is my home quiz, the Aberavon Rugby Club. I was question master last week , so tonight its Brian, and we soudl have a good chance. A win would give me 2 wins, 1 draw and two defeats this week , however its by no means guaranteed, depending on how many members of Lemurs , the most serious opposition turn up. Watch this space.

No comments: