In The News
Who or what are the following, and why have they been in the news?
1. Goldthorpe, Barnsley
2. Stan Tracey
3. Gemma Steel
4. The Bridge Church, Neath
5. Felix Sturm
6. Barry Jackson
7. Lord Edward Somerset
8. Henrik Stenson
9. Eleanor Parker
10. Maggie Aderin-Peacock
11. Billy Foulkes
12. Viktor Yanukovitch
13. Thamsanqa Jantjie
14. Ian Dibell
15. Cathie Sabin
In Other News
1. Whose statue was toppled in Kiev?
2. How much did Jesse Owens’ gold medal sell for in auction?
3. What % pay rise did IPSA recommend for MPs?
4. What was the score between Fulham and Arsenal?
5. Which team have Arsenal been drawn to play in the 3rd round of the FA Cup?
6. In cricket South Africa won their series against whom?
7. Who was the contestant who left Strictly in the quarter finals?
8. Which politician played Schumann in public?
9. Which singer announced she has been officially diagnosed with Asperger’s Syndrome?
10. Man Utd. have been drawn against which Premiership club in the FA Cup?
11. Which two players contested the UK Snooker championship final?
12. Which former X Factor judge was formally charged with selling drugs?
13. What did the EC rule that people should be allowed to do on planes?
14. Which actor did the Foreign Office warn not to go to Russia?
15. By how many runs did England lose the 2nd test?
16. Name the final 3 footballers on the shortlist for the Ballon d’Or?
17. Which rule change did the FIA suggest last week, to condemnation from the sport’s world champion?
18. Graham Norton was told off for wearing what?
19. Who is the new Wigan manager?
20. Which dancer announced his retirement last week?
21. Who was banned from entering the UK to promote his autobiography?
22. What will happen for the first time in the UK on 29th March 2014?
23. What was the score between Bayern Munich and Man City?
24. – and Man Utd and Shaktar Donetsk
25. Why was the match between Galatasaray and Juventus in Istanbul abandoned?
26. What toy topped the Royal Mail survey of most requested gift in letters to Santa?
27. Where will Andy Murray not be on 15th December?
28. Whose house was burgled during the Mandela funeral?
29. Who is Time Magazine’s Person of the Year?
30. Describe the new symbol for the rouble
31. What was the score between Arsenal and Napoli?
32. – and Chelsea and Steau Bucharest?
33. – and Swansea and St. Gallen
34. – and Wigan and NK Maribor?
35. – and Spurs and Anzhi Makhachkala?
36. Who admitted smacking his kids when they were younger?
37. Who won the Varsity rugby match?
Who or what are the following and why have they been in the news?
1. Town with the first social supermarket
2. Jazz Pianist died , 87
3. Won individual silver in the European Cross Country championships
4. Mary has been forced to wear a crash helmet to ride a donkey in the procession
5. Defeated Darren Barker in IBF Middleweight boxing match
6. Actor, George Bullard in Midsomer Murders, passed away
7. Admitted years of beating his wife
8. Golf Writers’ Golfer of the Year
9. Actress – Baroness in Sound of Music – passed away
10. New presented of BBC The Sky at Night
11. Busby Babe who played in the 1968 European Cup Final, passed away.
12. President of Ukraine, vacillating over deal with EU
13. The South African signer who made such a mess of Mandela’s memorial
14. PC posthumously awarded the George Medal
15. New President of the LTA
In Other News
2. £900,000 / $1.47 million
4. 1 - 1
7. Ashley Taylor-Dawson
8. Ed Balls
9. Susan Boyle
10. Swansea City
11. Neil Robertson defeated Mark Selby
12. Tulisa Contastovolos
13. People would be allowed to leave their phones on in planes
14. Sir Ian McKellern
16. Messi – Ronaldo – Franck Ribery
17. Double points to be awarded for final GP of the year
18. World AIDS Day ribbon
19. Uwe Rosler
20. Carlos Acosta
21. Mike Tyson
22. Same Sex couples getting married
23. 3 – 2 Man City
24. 1 – 0 Utd
25. There was a heavy fall of snow!
27. In the BBC Sports Personality of the Year ceremony – he’s in warm weather training
28. Archbishop Desmond Tutu
29. Pope Francis
30. It is a Cyrillic R ( like a latin capital P ) with a horizontal bar through it
31. 2 – 0 Napoli
32. 1 – 0 Chelsea
33. 1 – 0 St. Gallen
34. 2 – 1 NK Maribor
35. 4 – 1 Spurs
36. Tony Abbott – PM of Australia