1) This year is the 25th anniversary of dot.com on an internet address. But which word does com actually stand for ?
2) Where is your axilla ?
3) In which range of hills does the River Mersey have its source ?
4) Who created the detective Mike Hammer ?
5) Which island in New York was the disembarkation point for immigrants throughout the 19th and early 20th century ?
6) Which soft french cheese has a name which means Port of Safety ?
7) Chernobyl – site of the 1986 nuclear power station meltdown, was then in the Soviet Union. Which country is it in now ?
8) In which film did Robin Williams play DJ Adrian Cronauer ?
Good Morning Vietnam
9) What was unusual about the doctor in Star Trek Voyager ?
He was a hologram
10) In which sport might you perform a telemark landing ?
Skiing – especially ski jumping
11) Following two deaths last week there have been calls for which legal stimulant drug to be banned ?
12) What type of fruit is a biffin ?
13) In Greek Mythology, who escaped from the labyrinth aided by a ball of wool ?
14) BD is the first part of the postcode of which UK city ?
15) In the Netherlands, which word is used for lands which have been reclaimed from the sea ?
16) In the food industry – what does TVP stand for ?
Textured Vegetable Protein
17) What is the main difference between refracting and reflecting telescopes ?
Refracting use lenses – reflecting use mirrors
18) Reggae Reggae Sauce, available in all good supermarkets, is the most famous product which to come about through which TV show ?
19) Which 3 words complete the full title of Serge Gainsbourg and Jane Birkin’s Je T’aime ?
Moi non plus
20) In which year was the football world cup final between Italy and Brazil decided on penalties ?
21) Whose face appeared on English banknotes before Elizabeth II ?
22) What type of fin is a fishes tail ?
23) Who composed the Liverpool Oratorio ?
24) Which Radnorshire town is known as the town on the dyke ?
25) Which two nations fought the Battle of Marathon ?
Athenians and Persians
26) Which cartoon strip heroine was created for the Evening Standard newspaper in 1966 by Peter O’Donnell ?
27) When does a meteor become a meteorite ?
When it enters Earth atmosphere
28) What started in Singapore in 1940, and ended in Hongkong in 1962 ?
The Hope and Crosby Road Films
29) The French song Comme d’Habitude was better known in the version with English lyrics by Paul Anka – how do we know it ?
30) In formula 1, what name is given to the area where the winning cars must be parked for a final inspection ?
31) He Pingping died last week. Why was this in the news ?
He was the world’s shortest man
32) Which bird is also called a laverock ?
33) All that Glisters is not gold is a quotation from which of Shakespeare’s plays ?
The Merchant of Venice
34) Which is the largest country through which the Tropic of Capricorn passes ?
35) The hexagonal columns of the Giants Causeway in Antrim are formed from which rock ?
36) What is the difference between a hitch and a splice ?
Hitch ties a rope to something else, a splice ties two pieces of rope together
37) What do the letters PH stand for, as in PH scale ?
Potential of hydrogen
38) In Pinocchio, which character sings “When you wish upon a star “ ?
39) Which Sci Fi Tv show began with the words “There is nothing wrong with your TV set – do not adjust the picture “
The Outer Limits
40) Who was the first person to captain a winning Britain and Europe team in the Ryder cup ?